A List of Things I Love and Don’t Love About Going to University in America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

My first semester at the University of Maine is coming to an end and even though I’m excited to see my friends and family in England, I’m sad to be leaving. As a way to remember the past four months, I decided to think of five things I love, and five things I don’t love so much, about going to school here.

Things I Don’t Love

1. The Food: I can’t deny that there’s some pretty nice places to eat around Orono and Bangor, but the dining halls are not one of them. The food isn’t always bad, but it is always super repetitive (Tuesday lunch is my favorite). I guess I can’t hate it that much though because I’ve gained 15lbs since being here…

2. You need a car to get anywhere: Our campus is kind of in the middle of nowhere so if you want to do anything other than go to the library or gym, you’re going to have to drive.

3. They drive on the other side of the road: I may have gotten over panicking every time we turn out of a road onto the ‘wrong side’, but I don’t think I’ll ever remember which side the steering wheel is on. Almost every time I go to get in my friend’s cars, I walk to the driver’s side.

4. The weather: I don’t necessarily hate the cold and I do like the snow, I just HATE how quickly it changes. One day I can’t feel my feet it’s so cold and the next I’ll be sweating walking to class. Checking the weather before getting dressed doesn’t really help either, because half the time it changes in the middle of the day.

5. The homework: Since the first week of semester I don’t think I’ve once been able to say I have no work to do. If I don’t have a reading digest to finish, I have an essay, or a test to study for or a presentation to do. I’m definitely looking forward to being able to watch TV without feeling guilty over winter break.

Things I Love

1. The People: I can genuinely say I have met people here that I’m going to call my friends for the rest of my life and I’m going to miss them SO much. I’m not actually sure I can survive four weeks away from them.

2. My Sorority: When I got to America I was adamant I wasn’t going to join Greek life, but I somehow ended up joining Phi Mu. I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions I have made in the four months I’ve been here. And hey, if you think I’m paying for friends, some friends are worth paying for.

3. Having a roommate: Another thing I never thought I’d say, but I love having a roommate. My roommate and I get along really well and it’s nice to always have someone there to support my decision to nap. Plus, it’s way easier to sleep after watching a scary movie.

4. Sweet Frog: I don’t think I have to say any more (for anyone in Britain, it’s a frozen yoghurt place).

5. School Spirit: Whether it’s hockey, football or basketball, I’m there. I love how invested everyone gets in the games, even if they know no one on the team. It’s completely different to anything at university in England, where you’ll probably only go to a game if your friend is playing.

Charli Anderson

Lancaster '20

Charli is a sophomore exchange student from England, studying at UMaine for the year. Her majors are political science and philosophy. In her spare time she enjoys running, travelling and spending time with friends.
Gabbi is a senior at the University of Maine studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in Psychology. She hopes to write and publish her own novel one day!