Katie Keaton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Name: Katherine (Katie) Keaton

Hometown: Caribou, ME

Major: Theatre, Dance/Business Administration Minors

How you’re involved on campus?

I started out by trying the various dance clubs we have on campus. I joined hip hop club my very first semester and then made my way to dance club later that year. From there, I declared my dance minor and became heavily involved in the dance department by taking as many dance classes as I could fit in my schedule. I am currently a TA for the hip hop class, a member of ACDF, a co-founder of Celtic club and the president of hip hop club!

How did you get into dancing? What do you love about it?

I began dancing in my hometown at age 7 and stuck with it until I graduated high school. I really love performing and being able to tell stories through movement on stage. I didn’t want to lose those kind of opportunities in college, but luckily, those opportunities are always present in the Theatre/Dance Department!

How do you handle all that you do? It seems stressful!

All of my friends are just as involved and as passionate about the performing arts as I am. We have accepted the fact that we basically live in the dance studio/Hauck Auditorium. It helps that the people you surround yourself with understand the work that you do and what goes into it. There’s nothing like working with your friends on a piece and being able to bounce your ideas off each other. It always turns into something you’re able to teach to a group of people and watch come to life.

What are some of your biggest accomplishments?

The work that my fellow hip hop club officers and I did to put together the Romeo and Juliet themed piece from the most recent showcase was a huge success. So much energy went into it and even more of that energy came out of the piece. We received nothing but positive feedback, and being able to close the show made it that much more special. Some of my biggest accomplishments within my major include being the scenic designer for student-run shows, such as “Crimes of the Heart”, “Godspell”, and currently “Dog Sees God”.

What are your upcoming projects that you’ve choreographed?

We are in the process of putting together the hip hop club piece for the Spring Dance Showcase. Our theme focuses on another classic; this time, a movie that everyone is very familiar with. I am also working with a few friends on other personal projects!

Why should people dance?

Dance is an ever-changing art form that can find its way to anyone. It is such a fun and creative way to put yourself out there. I love that there are so many genres to explore, and I have found that the dance world has an incredibly supportive community that is always open to new ideas and concepts.

Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.