Incase You Missed It: UMaine Sports Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

This past Saturday evening had a misty chill as the crowd of students headed down to Morse Field for UMaine Football’s opening game against the University of Albany. Assuming that the exceptionally large crowd wasn’t all out of excitement for the new Beer Garden, there was great student support. The relocated and exclusive student section was electric. Jeff “Moonshots” Ondish, a rising star in his third year kicked off
the game. Albany scored the first points of the game with a field goal. But the black bears did what they do best and gave The Great Danes a run for their money, holding them to 9-0 at the half. The second half is where the bears stepped up their game. Early in the 3rd quarter Marcus Wasilewski threw a 19-yard pass to Damar Aultman for the bears’ first touch down of the game. Brian Harvey finished off the extra point and followed with a 31-yard field goal later in the quarter, tacking on an extra 3 points. At the end of the 3rd quarter the bears were trailing 17-10. UMaine remained consistent through the 4th quarter, this time Harvey kicked off the scoring with a 30-yard field goal. And Wasilewski threw a 4-yard pass to Derek Johnson for UMaine’s second TD. Harvey made the extra point. Unfortunately, the second half efforts couldn’t withstand Albany’s offense and the ending score was 30-20, Albany taking the victory.

Congrats to the other Black Bear teams that had a successful weekend as well! Here’s a quick recap of the other teams that played this past weekend! Tune in next week for another recap of UMaine sporting events!

Women’s Soccer 3-2 victory over University of Vermont
Field Hockey 5-3 victory over Quinnipiac
Cross Country lost to UNH

Special thanks to Jimmy Bump, Undergraduate Assistant