How to Stay Healthy During Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Ah, Thanksgiving. The day in which we take time out of our busy schedules to demonstrate our gratitude for all of the things in our lives. We spend time with family—whom we may or may not know by name. (We all have that one uncle that we haven’t seen in years.) We appreciate this quality time, where we get asked stressful questions about our futures and whom we are (or aren’t!) dating. In reality, though, we do appreciate this time to give thanks with our families. Thanksgiving is an exciting holiday, especially since it has a great focus on food. Yes, that sweet, wafting blend of turkey, stuffing, and pumpkin pie fills our homes, making our appetites seem boundless. This can be difficult for those of us who are trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle, as it might seem that it throws us off track. Thanksgiving, however, will neither ruin your diet, nor will it cause you to gain twenty pounds overnight. I might not be able to help you survive your family this year, but here are a few helpful tips for surviving Thanksgiving without sabotaging your health:

1.      Remember portion control!

It seems that when Thanksgiving rolls around, we all completely forget what a normal sized meal looks like. You do not have to avoid that delicious stuffing like the plague, but filling up three plates of it probably isn’t the best idea either! Indulge in the foods of your choice, but try to limit yourself to normal portions of half a cup to one cup per food.

2. Skip that pumpkin spice double mocha egg nog whatchamacallit

While holiday drinks taste delicious, most of them are filled with sugar. Whether they are alcoholic or not, holiday drinks are so good because they are loaded with empty calories. Just one eight-ounce glass of plain egg nog contains twenty grams of sugar. Alcoholic drinks in particular slow down your digestive system, making the food that you eat for Thanksgiving harder to metabolize. This makes you more likely to gain weight. Besides, if you’re going to eat something full of sugar, wouldn’t you rather have some pie?

3. Fill up on nutrient rich foods first

Instead of filling your plate with sweet potato casserole (Don’t fool yourself! The sweet potatoes do not make the marshmallows healthy.), fill up on vegetables and white turkey meat first! Then add some of your favorite less healthy dishes. By doing this, you’re not only causing yourself to eat less unhealthy foods, you’re also helping to meet your nutritional goals for the day.

4. Hydrate!!!

In general, most people forget to drink enough water throughout the day. With the chaos of Thanksgiving, your body’s hydration is even easier to neglect. Drinking enough water will help to properly digest your food and control your caloric intake. Often, people believe that they are still hungry, when in fact, they are simply thirsty. By drinking water throughout the day, you’ll feel more full and be apt to eat less, while still feeling satisfied.

5. Don’t worry!

This is the most important tip. Don’t be so concerned with your healthy eating that you forget to enjoy time with your family. For many people, myself included, food is a source of happiness. Enjoy all of the foods that you want to enjoy and make sure to appreciate those around you. One day is not going to ruin all of the progress that you’ve worked for. I promise. Just don’t let yourself use Thanksgiving as an excuse to stop eating healthy all together. Take this one day and remind yourself of its real value…and try not to get too stressed out when Grandma asks if you’re married yet. Happy Thanksgiving!

Photos: 1, 2

Jessie is a sophomore at the University of Maine's Honors College. She studies sociology with a minor in ethics, and social and political philosophy. She is a sister of Alpha Phi Delta Nu, a member of The University of Maine's Hillel, the sociology club, the pre-law society, Sigma Alpha Pi Honor Society, NSCS, and interns for the U.S. Senator Susan Collins. In her free time, she enjoys being around her sorority sisters, spending time with her boyfriend, writing, working out, and traveling.
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.