This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Texting a crush can be really exciting, but also lead you down a long road of stress and Ben and Jerry’s. Being yourself is key when texting your crush, because you want them to get to know YOU, know your fake texting personality. In the same breath, you don’t want to annoy your crush and come off clingy! So, here are the top annoying scenarios habits we get ourselves into.

1. No reply. Who doesn’t hate when we do not get a text back from our crush…we start to over think in our heads and we make up a scenario in our head and next thing you know it, we’re eating a one gallon tub of ice cream watching Dear John in our sweatpants; we all do it…well guys hate when we do it to them too! I talked to Darren Hatch, a recent graduate of the University of Maine and a brother of Delta Tau Delta. He said that getting a short reply is better than getting no reply at all: “I would like to feel acknowledged, especially if I’m into her. We guys try hard and hate when we put forth effort and it’s not reciprocated.”

2. One Word Answers. Everyone hates one word answers, even men. Kendall Boudreau, a business student at the University of Maine stated “[I don’t like] any one word answers, because I feel like I am talking to myself.” We feel your pain Kendall, we hate it when people do that to us too!

3. Too many emoticons! Being flirty and cute over text is hard! Therefore we use emoticons. Well, I am sorry to be the one to tell you this, but according to Cameron Paquette, a journalism student at the University of Maine, TOO MANY emoticons is not good either, you just have to find another way to be flirty and cute over text message.

4. Timing is everything. If you are texting at a good rate, and then all of a sudden, you just stop texting…it annoys some people…Cameron also stated “Please be consistent with responding to texts. Waiting a long a** time without a legit excuse makes me think a girl isn’t interested.”

5. Desperation. Do not be desperate!! According to Frank Klingensmith, a recent grad from the University of Maine and an alum of Delta Tau Delta, if a he ends a conversation with you, or does not text back after a second message, he is either A. not interested, or B. busy. Do not be that person who texts someone 4000 times before they have a chance to reply. Be at least a little hard to get… 

So whether they like you or not, be courteous while texting…Do not be any of these texters. We all know what this is like when someone does this to us, so be straight up and honest if you are not interested or busy, but on the other hand, do not annoy them with a million texts and hearts. 

Name: Rachel Boudreau Grade: Senior (Graduating in December) Major: Journalism/Broadcast Concentration Minor: French Aspirations: Write for Cosmopolitan, or Foreign Correspondant in France Hobbies: Swimming, shopping, photography, cooking, crafting, friend time,
Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.