How to Handle Family At Thanksgiving When Life is Complicated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times of the year, getting to together with family you haven’t seen in a while, and of course the food.  When it comes to family gatherings though, always comes all of the questions from everyone about life, and how college is going, and if there is a new SO in your life.  The dreaded questions we all hate having to continuously answer at every family gathering.  It makes it harder to want to answer especially when things aren’t going as planned, or you’re not doing as well as you would like to be doing in classes.  No one wants to tell their family that things are iffy at the moment, but that also doesn’t mean you need to share all about it.  My family, every single holiday brings up if I have met anyone yet, and it never fails to be asked.  Everyone goes through iffy times at some point during college, whether you choose to share about them or not.  But here are a few ways to handle all those questions families never fail to ask during holidays together:

·         Be straight forward and tell them exactly what’s happening whether good or bad, depending on how close you are with your relatives

·         Avoid answering the questions by being brief, like saying “everything is alright”; no one ever said you have to go into detail

·         Change the topic of conversation before you’re asked so you don’t have to worry about answering, but we all know they will find a way to ask!

The never ending questions will come to an end at some point during your holiday, so don’t fret about it.  Enjoy sharing the time you have with your family and what you are thankful for this Thanksgiving!

Photos: 1

Lindsay is a third year Nursing major at the University of Maine. She enjoys working out, being with friends and family, and is an avid traveler.
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.