you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Effectively Write a Cover Letter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Writing a perfect resume is incredibly important, but crushing your cover letter is the first step to a great first impression. A cover letter gives you the opportunity to leave them in awe of what you have to offer. Here are the steps to writing a great cover letter. 

Step 1: Contact information

The top left section of the cover letter should be filled with the employer’s contact information. Example:

April 23, 2017

Mr. John Doe

Vice President of Google

116th St. New York, NY 10036

Step 2: Professional font

I know this might seem obvious, but it has been proven that if your cover letter uses a font that is too hard to read, employer’s will only skim or skip over it entirely. A cover letter is your one chance to make an incredible first impression so it is important that it is neat and legible.

Step 3: Salutation

Start with your salutation which should be set up like this: Dear Mr./Ms./Mrs. colon. Most people’s initial instinct is to use comma but a comma is only used in informal situations (writing a letter to your grandma in Florida, a note to your best friend back home, etc.). A colon is more formal and more appropriate for a business situation. If you don’t know the hiring manager’s name you have a couple of options. You can call the company and ask, snoop around on the company’s Linkedin webpage or take a look at their company’s website.

Step 4: Introduce what job you’re looking for

Ensure that your cover letter is very specific to what job you’re looking to acquire and how you learned about the position. Next, quickly introduce yourself (basic info about what school you attended, your year in school and major). This is also a great time to explain how your studies in and out of school align with the job you are applying for.

Step 5: Sell yourself

The second paragraph should begin with a quick compliment of the company. Tell them that you’ve always been passionate about the company and that it’s always been in line with what you want to do with the rest of your life. Describe how your previous job experiences, skills and abilities will allow you to meet the company’s needs.You can even use words and phrases from the job description to tie your cover letter directly to what they’re looking for.

Step 6: Wrap it up

Make sure your cover letter doesn’t exceed one page. Chances are, the hiring manager is going to read tens of hundreds of applications, so keep it quick and concise. Inform them that you’d love to have an interview and tell them that if you don’t hear from them within a week (you choose a timeline) you will follow up with them.

Step 7: Sign off

That’s it! Close by saying “very best regards,” and your name.

Photos: 1, 2, 3

Abby is a second year Business Management and Marketing double major at the University of Maine. She is a sister of Alpha Phi and enjoys reading, knitting, traveling, and spending time with friends and family in her spare time.