Holiday Decorating in Small Places

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Don’t let living in a dorm room or a small apartment hinder your holiday spirit! If anything, get more creative with your holiday decorating. Don’t let it make you a Scrooge! Here are some great ideas for holiday decorating in small places!

1.Make Room for Holiday Decorations

Switch out your photos and other year-long decorations (temporarily) for your holiday decorations! The worst thing you could do in a small home is create a huge mess of clutter!

2.Take advantage of railings!

Don’t let your railings stay plain and boring! Holiday garland is an inexpensive way to spice up the holiday spirit in your home.  You can also find it any color or design so it can be fit any holiday you may be celebrating this winter! Don’t like garland? Don’t worry- there’s other simple decorations you can find to add some holiday spirit to your railings!

3. MINI-CHRISTMAS TREE?!

What’s Christmas without a Christmas Tree?! Don’t bother using the “my home isn’t big enough for one” excuse. There is absolutely no reason why you should not have one! Buy a tree top and decorate it with cute ornaments (which you can also find relatively cheap almost anywhere).  You can even make a cute tree-topper to your mini-Christmas tree! Add a little more decoration, by leaving wrapped gifts under it to show off!

4.Decorate the coat hooks!

This is literally one of the simplest things you can do to get your home in the holiday spirit! Take your boring coat hooks and hang mini-wreaths and other Christmas decorations from them.  However, don’t overdo it. Clutter is not pretty or cute.

5.DIY Advent Calendars

Bring back one of your favorite childhood holiday traditions with a do-it-yourself advent calendar.  There are a variety of links you can find online. You can easily find one that suits your style.

Have any other decorating tips for those who live in small homes or dorms? Comment below and share with us!

Erin Vogel is a Senior at the University of Maine majoring in Abnormal/Social Psychology with a minor in Child Development and Family Relations.
Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.