Her Campus UMaine Survival Guide: Pretty Lights Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Chances are, you have probably heard about this Friday’s concert. Maybe you’re one of the 1,300 UMaine students who have confirmed they will be attending the Pretty Lights concert this weekend. (If not, don’t sweat it! Check out the event’s Facebook page here.) There’s really no better way to kick off a new school year than with an on-campus concert, and we’re here to provide you with a few tips to guarantee you’ll have a good night.    

• Make sure you’re hydrated and well fed. It’s the most obvious tip in the book and should be something you do every night—drink lots of water and make sure to eat before you go out! The last thing you should have to worry about is being dehydrated or lightheaded while you’re dancing your neon spandex-clad booty off. 
  • Wear closed toed shoes. Save your sandals and stilettos for another night!  Twisted ankles and trampled-on toes are not worth it. 
  • Stick together. Although you probably learned all about the benefits of the buddy system in preschool, don’t discard it just because you’re a big, bad college girl now! Don’t think a campus concert will be any less chaotic because it’s within walking distance of your dorm. Find a friend and stick together because we all know that cell phones love to die or lose service just when we really need them!
  • Only bring what you really need.  Despite all of the photo ops Friday night is sure to bring, leave the fancy Nikon you got for your birthday at home! It’s likely to be stolen or broken, and the event prohibits recording devices. Your room key, cellphone and concert ticket are all that you’re really going to need. Make sure to bring your MaineCard if you purchased a UMaine student ticket, because the name on the ticket must match the one on your ID. (And for the love of touchscreen phones, this is not the night to forget to use your sturdiest phone case.) 
  • Know the rules. Remember that because the concert is being held at the Alfond, school rules still apply. It is prohibited to bring alcohol, fire producing devices, carry-ins and a variety of other items to the event. Make sure to visit this page for frequently asked questions and contact information. 
  • Download the music. All of the Pretty Lights music is available for free download here

PS, the UMaine Her Campus chapter is growing! Check out our: 
Pinterest page for some outfit inspiration for the concert. 
Twitter for a Pretty Lights play-by-play @hercampusmaine
Instagram for event pictures @hercampus_umaine

Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl. 
Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.