Her Campus UMaine Open Meeting- April 4th @ 3pm!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Her Campus UMaine Open Meeting
Wednesday April 4th, 2012 @ 3:00pm
On the front steps of Fogler Library (Oakes Room if rain)

For all current members and those interested in Her Campus UMaine!

What is Her Campus?

Her Campus is the #1 online magazine for college women, individualizing its content college-by-college by establishing My Campus branches at schools across the country.  With national content on Style, Beauty, Health, Love, Life, and Career, supplemented by local content produced by teams of students at 200+ colleges across the country, Her Campus serves as a hub for everything college women need to know about today. Since joining the Her Campus Team, our team members have been offered jobs and internships with Glamour, Vogue, Vanity Fair, Seventeen, Marie Claire, Harper’s Bazaar, People magazine, W magazine, Teen Vogue, InStyle, Lucky, O magazine, MTV, The Washington Post, and Ogilvy, among others.

Founded by three students while they were undergraduates at Harvard—Stephanie Kaplan ‘10, Windsor Hanger ‘10, and Annie Wang ‘11—Her Campus was a winner in Harvard College’s business plan competition, the i3 Innovation Challenge, in March 2009. Since Her Campus’s launch in September 2009, Her Campus has formed content partnerships with Seventeen magazine, SELF magazine, Glam.com and The Huffington Post and worked with clients including Victoria’s Secret PINK, The Body Shop, New Balance, Pop chips, LOFT, Pinkberry, and Intel. 

Macey Hall and Shaina Dennis cofounded Her Campus UMaine in the spring semester of 2011. Since its creation, Her Campus UMaine has consistently had articles reach the Top 10 Article List on the national site and we have some of the highest viewer rates for the Her Campus branches. Both of our cofounders have gone on to amazing jobs- Macey Hall works at Seventeen Magazine in New York City and Shaina Dennis works at Big Night Entertainment in Boston.

What does Her Campus UMaine write about?
Her Campus UMaine covers any and every topic that the students want to write about or read about- we will not say no to something for no reason. There are seven main features of the HerCampus.com/UMaine site that we cover weekly:

• Lifestyle-any article on any topic. Most common topics: fashion, nutrition, exercise, relationships, local news etc.

• Campus Celebrity-a person or group on/around campus that has shown exceptional work; a person(s) worth interviewing and talking about. (i.e. local businesses, student organizations, student athletes, philanthropic work)

• Campus Cutie-a weekly article of a UMaine male student who is either nominated or known. There are a list of questions for them to answer and we accompany the article with pictures of them.

• Campus Event-a weekly post of an event that is happening on or around the UMaine campus that week.

• Weekly Poll-a question that has 4 possible answers for Her Campus UMaine readers to choose from. Usually the questions are relevant to the time of year, holidays or recent events.

• Campus Blog-weekly article open for any creative person to use as a type of blog. Currently, we upload weekly music play lists with links to where you can find the songs online.

• Photoblog– at least once a week we upload a picture of UMaine students or the campus. We have also used it as a “Looks over Books” fashion blog.

What other positions does Her Campus UMaine have?
We have used the 2011-2012 school year to create, organize and plan some of our first ever Her Campus UMaine events. With the success of these we have several newer positions open for students who may not want to write articles but would love to get involved in everything else Her Campus UMaine does.

• Public Relations/Marketing-someone who is willing to make the contacts and assist the Campus Correspondents in reaching local businesses with proposed event ideas. Should be able to write press releases and feel comfortable with making phone calls and sending emails to local businesses.

• Social Media-someone who will assist the Campus Correspondents in the daily updating of the Her Campus UMaine social media sites Twitter and Facebook. Every article must be posted to these websites with tags to the authors. Other updating with facts, campus news and fun sayings are also encouraged. Social media has been huge for Her Campus UMaine and one of our writers was offered a freelance fitness writing position after her article was tweeted at a fitness company. Social media is very important to us!

• Event Planning-Her Campus UMaine prides itself on the events that we hold both independently and in collaboration with other student organizations and UMaine Greek life. If you are interested in assisting in planning events, setting up and taking down events, working at the events and helping to promote them than there is definitely a place for you at Her Campus UMaine!

Commitment
            Although Her Campus UMaine is a student –run organization, the national office takes writer/team member commitment very seriously. The two campus correspondents signed contracts with Her Campus national that they would upload the articles and adhere to the deadlines given by Her Campus national and Her Campus UMaine. When you sign on to be a contributing writer you are committing to:

• Adhere to the deadlines set by the Campus Correspondents
  • Notify the editors if you will be unable to submit an article at least (1) week in advance
  • Be in contact with the other contributing writers about article topics/ideas
  • Attend the scheduled meetings or notify the Campus Correspondents if you are unable to
  • Submit articles that are correct and publish-ready
  • Be ready to promote and participate in the Her Campus UMaine events!

What can Her Campus UMaine offer you?
            Although we take what we do very seriously, Her Campus is centered around girls talking about, writing about and doing what they love! We have had some amazing team experiences in the past year whether it was when we traveled down to Boston for the Her Campus national birthday party or all of the events we got to attend together. Beyond just an experience, Her Campus has some major benefits.

Connections:Her Campus is connected to some of the major journalism and media relations companies, including: Seventeen Magazine, Glamour, The Huffington Post and Self Magazine. Each branch submits one article a week to be considered for syndication in The Huffington Post. Her Campus is becoming a leader in college journalism with an excellent reputation.

Work Experience: Being a writer for Her Campus UMaine gives you published work to be highlighted on your resume and in your portfolio. Through Her Campus you are getting experience that many do not get until after graduation or through an internship.

Credible References: If you take your participation seriously and acquire a portfolio of work that shows that than the Campus Correspondents can vouch for that. You also have the reference of being published on Her Campus consistently. Through the events and articles Her Campus UMaine can serve as a vital part of your resume! 

Interested?
If this sounds like something you would LOVE to do please email the current Campus Correspondents with any further questions and/or how you would like to add to the Her Campus UMaine team!

Jenna Hoops: JennaHoops@hercampus.com
Katrina Horgan: Katrina.Horgan@umit.maine.edu
Olivia Fournier: Olivia.Fournier@umit.maine.edu

See you all on April 4th at 3:00pm!