The Her Campus Guide to: Dressing for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Thanksgiving is one of the most difficult holidays to dress for. Having to consider the weather, the mass amounts of food you’re going to eat and the varying levels of formality can make it tough to find the perfect outfit. Here’s an outfit guide for every Thanksgiving situation you’ll encounter this year! (Click the links to shop the looks!)

Whether this is your first or fifth Thanksgiving with your SO’s family, there’s an underlying feeling of wanting to impress. A need to have clever things to say at the table and to bring some delicious dish everyone will love. Who doesn’t want to make a good first impression?

If their family practices a more formal Thanksgiving, a simple dress with tights will do. Mothers love peter pan collars, don’t ask me why. If it’s a slightly less formal affair, a nice blouse and oxfords will do. If they keep it super casual, throw a pretty scarf over an oversized sweater and you’re good to go! 

It’s always fun eating (and drinking) too much with friends and catching up over delicious food. It’s also great to be able to keep it casual (helloooo, leggings). If your friends insist on dressing up, meet them halfway with a pretty sweater dress that will look nice but still give your inevitable food baby some space to grow. 

Nothing beats Thanksgiving with your family, even if that means listening to mom asking about your future while your older brother humblebrags. But hey, your family definitely won’t judge you for wearing your stretchiest leggings in preparation for overeating. If your family wants to dress it up a little, layering a (faux) fur vest over a flannel shirt still keeps you comfy but looking put together. 

Happy Thanksgiving!
Terry Shortt is a fourth year Journalism major minoring in WGS Studies and Creative Writing at the University of Maine. In her free time she enjoys writing, reading, playing dress up, crafting, and eating. She fancies herself to be a sex positive, feminist, Martha Stewart. She enjoys the simple pleasures in life, like warm summer nights and perfect cat-eyes.
Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl.