Healthy High 5/10k at University of Maine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

We all know what 4/20 is known for worldwide. At the University of Maine we take a different approach on the day. Every year on April 20th there is a race that takes place at the university where students can run/ walk either a 5k or 10k. The idea of this race is to prove that not everyone “gets high” on 4/20 and to change it to something more beneficial for the body. This is the perfect day to get in extra volunteer hours, feel good about yourself, and do something good for the community.

This event is sponsored by the Sexual Assault and Violence Committee and at this event you can bring your old running shoes to donate to Soles 4 Souls, which is an organization that has distributed over 30 million pairs of shoes in over 127 countries and all 50 states in the U.S.

The Healthy High race has made a positive impact on the students at the University of Maine because it has allowed students to come together and make a difference in our community.

Student Olivia Vibert at the University of Maine says that her favorite thing about the Healthy High run is “I really love the competition, it’s so nice to see so many people getting out and getting healthy. It’s always so much better to run races when someone else is there to push you to be better and faster”

I highly recommend that next year even more students get involved with this event because it is a great way to get outdoors after a long winter. How can you get more high off life while spending time with your friends, going outdoors, and competing against other people in the community for a good cause? Go 4/20!

*Photos courtesy of Olivia Vilbert*

My name is Lilah Gagnon and I attend the University of Maine. I'm double majoring in Political Science and Sociology and plan to attend law school after graduating. In my free time I like to go to the beach, cook, and exercise.
Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.