Fitness: Tips for Waking Up Early

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Like many of you, I am pretty darn busy college student. I’m not making excuses, but sometimes I do not have time to make it to the gym or exercise every day. On days I know the gym will be closed by the time I’m finished working or studying I try to sneak in a workout before class. Then comes the next issue: it’s 6 a.m. and my alarms going off… It’s not that I don’t want to get up and get my fitness on, but my body rejects all of my valiant efforts. So I found some helpful and fun tips to help you get your butt out of bed in
the morning! 

Tips for Waking Up Early
1. Lay out the clothes you plan to exercise in the night before, and set your socks and shoes in front of your bed.

2. If it’s comfortable, go to sleep in your sports bra and running shorts. That way, half the work is already done when your alarm goes off!

3. Whether you’re using a phone or alarm clock, put it far enough away so that you have to get out of bed to turn it off in the morning.

4.
Set a bottle of water close to your alarm clock, preferably with some lemon juice in it. Also, keep some no-bake energy bites nearby; these can kick-start your day first thing. Check out this recipe for quick and easy homemade energy bites!

5. When your alarm goes off, DO NOT HIT THE SNOOZE BUTTON! I really can’t stress this one enough. Just don’t do it. Set the alarm for the latest time possible, you will trick your brain into thinking you’re in a hurry, rather than thinking, “I can sleep for ten more minutes.” Those ten minutes won’t make you less tired anyways. They will however, turn into twenty minutes, then thirty minutes, then no workout for you. Trust me on this one.

6.
While you’re up, grab that bottle of water you set aside the night before and drink a good amount. The lemon juice will kick start your metabolism and help your body wake up faster. Then eat an energy ball or two. Chewing will let your digestive system know it’s time to start working, and the protein-packed bites will fuel your workout.

7. Before you even think of heading back to bed, put on your sneakers and the rest of your workout gear. Put in your headphones and start listening to some music. Now you’re ready to go before your brain has figured out what just happened.

Lots more info on the topic at http://www.youmefit.com/2012/08/16/waking-up-early/
http://www.visalusrecipes.com/no-bake-energy-bites/

Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.