This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Fall is one of the best times of the year for new book releases. It’s also the perfect time of the year to stay warm and cozy indoors! So, when you need a break from studying this fall, curl up with a comfy blanket and a cup of tea, and check out some of these new releases!

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green

Release date: September 25

Also known as John Green’s brother and member of the Youtube channel Vlogbrothers, his debut novel describes what happens when 23 year old April May becomes an internet star after creating a video that goes viral. Fans of his Youtube channel will see his humor and witty nature come through in his debut novel describing the good, as well as dark parts of internet fame

Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor

Release date: Oct. 2

If Muse of Nightmares is anything like fantasy writer Laini Taylor’s first installment in the Strange the Dreamer series, it promises to be heartbreaking, beautifully written, incredibly unique and simply magical. The first novel in her series was unlike anything I’d ever read before. Taylor’s writing is fresh, intricate and full of complex side characters and forbidden love. A continuation on the story of a lost city, a dreamer and a god, Muse of Nightmares will not disappoint.

Map of Days by Ransom Riggs

Release date: Oct. 2

The fourth book in Ransom Riggs’ Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children series seeks to continue the journey of a group of “peculiar” children with superpowers previously set in the UK into America. The series began with Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children which was adapted into a movie in 2016 directed by Tim Burton. A mixture between horror, humor and coming of age, the novel is told through a series of creepy and odd, old photographs that are weaved throughout the plot line.

What If It’s Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera

Release date: October 9

Critically acclaimed YA author Adam Silvera and Becky Albertalli, author of Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (or the more commonly known film, Love, Simon), coauthor this humorous and heartwarming novel. With altering narration, two seemingly very different characters, Ben and Arthur, meet in New York at a post office. Arthur is a hardcore romantic and Ben isn’t even sure he believes in love, yet through the course of the novel they struggle to navigate their differences in their relationship.

Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak

Release date: Oct. 9

As The Book Thief is one of my favorite novels of all time, I have been patiently waiting for Markus Zusak to write again. In his first novel back after 13 years, Zusak writes Bridge of Clay, and you may be asking, how can he follow up The Book Thief? Completely different from the World War II novel, Bridge of Clay is a slow burning and multigenerational family drama. It tells a story of loss and grief through five Dunbar boys, while still maintaining certain similarities in writing styles to The Book Thief, such as vivid imagery and short, impactful sentences.

A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi

Release Date: Oct. 16

Set in 2002, just a year after the events of 9/11, this novel follows our main character, Shirin, a 16-year-old Muslim girl. Based off of many of author Tahereh Mafi’s own experiences, she tells a tale of a woman of color’s struggle against adversity, addressing important issues such as Islamophobia and the common misconceptions associated with the religion. She teaches us to not fear the very things that make us different.

Jane Horovitz

U Maine '21

Jane Horovitz was born in Seattle, Washington, but grew up in Washington, Maine. She is a second year at the University of Maine studying English. In her free time Jane love playing in Screaming Black Bears Pep Band at hockey and basketball games, traveling and rereading the Harry Potter series.
Gabbi is a senior at the University of Maine studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in Psychology. She hopes to write and publish her own novel one day!