Evangelia’s Top Five New England Road Trip Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

For years, many people have praised New England for its rustic aesthetic, beautiful coasts, small and vintage cities, and pine-filled forests. I believe there’s a lot of truth to the raving reviews and I can’t help but agree with them! 

I’ve had the privilege of living in Maine for most of my life and though it may be rural and slightly old-fashioned, the Pine Tree State does have its perks. One of these perks is the ease and ability to travel throughout the entirety of New England, from Maine to Massachusetts, even to Rhode Island. New England is so small, yet there are so many destinations that are perfect for road trips and adventures either by yourself or with friends. 

So here is the list of my top five road trip destinations in New England.

Portland, Maine

Okay, I’ll admit that maybe I’m a little biased because I grew up just twenty minutes away from Portland and I have visited the city countless times, especially considering the fact that I have both worked and attended school there. However, that being said, I do strongly feel as though my extensive experience with this city gives me merit and many reasons to offer praise for it. 

Throughout most of my life, Portland was my absolute favorite place to visit. I don’t think I have ever found myself bored when visiting this city. Portland is like a bustling, urban little pocket in such a rural state – there are shops on every corner, especially thrift shops (because who doesn’t love thrift shopping?) and there are a variety of restaurants that serve different types of delicious foods (my personal favorites are Taco Escobar and Elevation Burger). There’s also the Eastern Promenade which offers easy hiking trails and a picturesque and scenic view of the ocean. Portland has both something to do for your every mood and something to offer for your every craving.

In addition, this is not as commonly known or broadcasted but Portland has a lot of resources readily available for learning and personal growth. The local college, University of Southern Maine, often hosts talks on different subjects, ranging from politics to science with a number of topics offered in between the two. These talks are usually open to the public and free, too, so it’s worth looking at their schedule to see if anything piques your interest. 

Additionally, Portland is home to the Portland Museum of Art and the Portland Public Library. Both of these facilities hold amazing works of creativity and can aid your curious mind and you might even find yourself at an event or show considering this is often a venue used to host events or movie screenings on obscure but interesting topics such as the LGBTQ+ rights movement and the topic of immigration.

New Castle, New Hampshire

New Castle is by far one of the most scenic and beautiful places I’ve ever visited. It’s a small, serene island off the coast of Portsmouth and it is less than a twenty-minute drive from the Maine border!

As an island, New Castle is quite literally surrounded by the ocean which offers lots of opportunities to enjoy the view from the coast. It’s also a perfect place for activities such as sailing or open-ocean kayaking! 

What adds to New Castle’s appeal is how quiet and calm it is. Since there aren’t a lot of people on the island, it’s the perfect place to sit down, sip a coffee, and read a book with views of the ocean in front of you. If you are like some of us who aren’t huge fans of getting out on the water via boat or similar activities, there’s an alternative – you can drive to the island by a bridge and still get to take in all the beauty it has to offer (without the seasickness!)

Bar Harbor, Maine

Bar Harbor is a little town on an island off the coast of Maine called Mount Desert Island (M.D.I.). It is home to the College of the Atlantic, which was named the “most green college in the country” in 2019. In addition to being the home of this school, Bar Harbor also has a plethora of amazing, kitschy restaurants and adorable thrift shops. 

The last time I visited Bar Harbor, I stayed with my friend at the College of the Atlantic and made wonderful, long-lasting memories. I got to experience what it’s like to stay in a sustainability-focused dorm, acquired a whole new wardrobe at a thrift store for just $20, and drank warm, oat milk coffee at Chocco-Latte. 

Bar Harbor is also a haven for outdoorsy people like myself! It is on Mount Desert Island, the same island home to Acadia National Park which offers an abundance of hiking trails, rocks to climb, beaches to walk upon and more, with offerings such as Sand Beach, Cadillac Mountain, and Thunder Hole, among other sites. Acadia and Bar Harbor also both share close proximity to the coast, offering opportunities to swim, kayak, sail, or just smell the sea salt if you want to drive up to the many ridges and pullouts for the beautiful views both this town and island have to offer.

Beverly, Massachusetts

The last time I went to Beverly, Massachusetts, I was seventeen years old. My mom and I traveled down there after the school day had ended, so we could see the Indigo Girls and Michelle Malone perform at the Chevallier theatre. 

The moment we arrived, it was magical. To me, it felt as if I were living in a dreamy, early Tegan and Sara song where everything was just perfect – if you aren’t familiar with this reference, I mean it was rustic and calm with an exciting atmosphere. For one thing, it was right on the coast and if you couldn’t already tell by the locations I’ve been choosing for this piece, I have a very strong affinity for the ocean and coastal communities. If I’m being honest, it’s not just for the coastal towns, picturesque views and the thrift shops — there is something about being able to smell the salty sea and watch the waves crash that is extremely therapeutic for me. 

Secondly, the city is balanced. It’s not too busy, but it has just enough hustle and bustle to it and I feel safe while I walk down Beverely’s streets and sidewalks. I feel like I can go up to strangers and ask for directions if I need to  and I don’t have to continuously be concerned about my safety or have any concern at all while walking around. At the same time, it’s busy enough where I can just escape into my own little world without being bothered by other people because we all know that at times that’s absolutely necessary. 

Lastly, Beverly has the Chevallier theatre and the entire building can be described in one word, regal because the colors, the stage, and the embellishments all accentuate the building’s elegance. The architecture has an amazing vibe that is perfect for vintage souls and more notably the acoustics are amazing! What’s not to love here?

Sebago Lake State Park, Maine

Finally, we have Sebago Lake State Park! Sebago Lake is a rather large lake that spans from Standish to Naples

Of course, this destination is a little bit farther out and depending on which beach you go to, and where you are driving from, it can be a bit of a hike. However, in my opinion, it’s totally worth the trek to get to it! 

The lake itself is surrounded by lots of rustic cottages and windy trails. With several beaches with warm sand (don’t worry, your feet won’t burn!) and water that is always crystal clear and clean, it’s the perfect destination for a summer swim or a picnic on the beach if you just want to sit and enjoy the view in front of you! 

Evangelia Suleiman (who has previously written under the byline “Evan Suleiman”) is a double major in Political Science and Journalism at the University of Maine. They love writing with a passion, and have been published by organizations including The Maine Campus, Maine Public Broadcasting Network, Vocal Media, and the Portland Press Herald. Evangelia’s interests include politics, writing, reading, music, travel, and quality time with their friends. Evangelia typically writes about politics, LGBT+ issues, and socio-cultural affairs. One day, they hope to become either a reporter or an opinion writer at a more professional level and obtain their masters degree in journalism.