Evangelia’s Top 3 True Crime Movies and Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Ever since I was a teenager, I’ve been obsessed with mysteries and true crime stories. Stories within this genre always have such an eerie air to them — plus, the history and psychology behind true crime stories always fascinates and terrifies me.

I know I am not the only one fascinated by true crime! I’ve met many other people who are as interested in the genre as I am. With this in mind, here are my top three favorite true-crime series and movies.

The Night Stalker (Netflix)

The Night Stalker, a new Netflix docu-series, is truly terrifying. The series focuses on infamous Los Angeles serial killer Richard Ramirez, dubbed “The Night Stalker” by California journalists. I found this series to be really scary and intense because it took such an in-depth look at his upbringing and psychology, as well as the many horrific crimes he committed during the 1980s.

The Night Stalker includes harrowing interviews with LA homicide detectives who worked on the case, as well as interviews with Ramirez’s victims and their families. I think all the interviews and included footage show the viewer how intense the gravity of the situation was. It also shows how Ramirez’s crimes influenced not only the way the victims’ families lived their lives but how an entire Southern California community lived their lives in a fight against a vicious killer.

Conversations With a Killer (Netflix, printed book available here)

Another True Crime series I find intriguing  is Conversations With a Killer. The series, based on a book of the same name by Stephen G. Michaud and Hugh Aynesworth, focuses on the psychology and life of the infamous serial killer, Ted Bundy. This series is also really intense and scary because it gives you a deeper look into his mind and the reasons why he was such an evil person.

Murder, Mystery, Makeup, Monday (Bailey Sarian on YouTube)

Murder, Mystery, Makeup, Monday is a true-crime-centered YouTube series created by Bailey Sarian. In her series, Sarian applies extravagant makeup while she discusses true crime cases. I find this series very interesting, in part because of how casual it is, but also because not all the crimes Sarian discusses are solved, so it’s interesting to try to solve the cases on your own.

Evangelia Suleiman (who has previously written under the byline “Evan Suleiman”) is a double major in Political Science and Journalism at the University of Maine. They love writing with a passion, and have been published by organizations including The Maine Campus, Maine Public Broadcasting Network, Vocal Media, and the Portland Press Herald. Evangelia’s interests include politics, writing, reading, music, travel, and quality time with their friends. Evangelia typically writes about politics, LGBT+ issues, and socio-cultural affairs. One day, they hope to become either a reporter or an opinion writer at a more professional level and obtain their masters degree in journalism.