This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. With fall in its peak and the autumn leaves changing, it brings out a really good feeling. One of the best ways to enjoy a nice fall day is by staying in and watching a classic Halloween movie. I’m not the type of person who enjoys really scary movies, so this is a list of my favorite, feel good, not so scary that you have nightmares for a week type of Halloween movies. If you don’t have the streaming platforms mentioned to watch these movies, you can find all of them and more on Freeform’s 31 Nights of Halloween on TV.

1. Hocus Pocus

Coming in at the top is Hocus Pocus. It’s the perfect blend of funny, spooky, and a little bit romantic. A teenaged boy named Max recently moves to Salem, Massachusetts where he discovers an old house, rumored to be haunted by the Sanderson sisters. Max doesn’t believe that the rumors are true, but he comes to realize that the Sanderson sisters are very real as he tries to take their spellbook. Hocus Pocus is a classic Halloween movie that should definitely be watched this fall. You can watch this Halloween classic on Disney+.

1. Practical Magic

Two sisters grow up avoiding magic, but when one of their boyfriends die, they delve into some hard magic. I love Practical Magic because it’s a really great Halloween movie that’s not scary, but it’s also not a children’s film. There is a little bit of magic and a little bit of a love story, making the perfect combination for fall watching. You can stream Practical Magic on HBO Max. 

1. Halloweentown

Halloweentown was always my favorite Halloween movie growing up. Marnie is a young girl who lives for Halloween, but her mother refuses to celebrate Halloween because she’s secretly a witch. When Marnie discovers that she comes from a family of witches, her dreams come true. I think everyone wanted to be Marnie, right? You can watch all four in the Halloweentown series on Disney+. 

1. Twitches

Twitches is a Disney classic.  Two twin sisters reunite on their 21st birthday to save the magical kingdom from the darkness taking over. There are two movies in the Twitches series. Twitches Too is the sequel where the twin sisters continue to strengthen their powers, ultimately to defeat evil again. Both Twitches movies are available to watch on Disney+.

1. Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice is a classic, must-watch Halloween movie. Another comedy with the right balance of horror. When a couple suddenly dies, where do they go? In Beetlejuice, they go to the attic of their old home as ghosts. When a new family moves in, they will do anything to try to get rid of them. Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetleju- wait… don’t say his name three times, or you might regret it! Beetlejuice can be found on Hulu Plus or Amazon. 

1. Any Harry Potter Movies

Although Harry Potter movies aren’t exactly Halloween movies, the type of comfort I get watching Harry Potter movies is exactly what I look for in a Halloween movie. The magic and adventure really puts you in a fall mood. We know Harry Potter, we love Harry Potter, and the great thing about the movies is that they’re perfect for any time of the year. Harry Potter can be watched on HBO Max. 

I'm Eleanor, a business student with a minor in legal studies. In my free time you can catch me playing with my dog, listening to Harry Styles, shopping, or watching Netflix.