Cultural Differences Between the US and Poland: Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

The time span between Halloween and Thanksgiving is an extremely busy and fun time, and becomes even more interesting when you spend it in a culture that isn’t originally yours. Moving from Poznan, Poland to Buffalo, NY at the age of seven was quite a culture shock, but the experiences that I have had from this chapter of my life have greatly contributed to the new and blended traditions that my family shares during the holiday season.

In many cultures Halloween is a nonexistent holiday, with many opting to participate in the Day of the Dead celebrations on November 1st instead. That’s why, at the age of seven, I was quite confused as to why people celebrated Halloween. Truthfully, I still don’t really understand it, but over the years it has grown to be one of my favorite days of the year and has blended into my personal traditions. Planning costumes (sometimes way too early), going out with friends and getting the big bags of candy is definitely one of the highlights of every fall.

Although not occurring each year, the older I get the more prevalent the topic of presidential elections becomes. It’s important to keep up with what goes on in politics to be able to formulate an eloquent thought about your beliefs and views (do your civic duty and vote this Tuesday!!), but it’s always a little weird to have to explain to people that no, you actually can’t vote because you’re not a US citizen yet. Although it may seem odd, it’s an issue that any non-citizen can relate to.

Thanksgiving is another holiday primarily prevalent only in North America. It’s a beautiful time to gather with family and eat delicious food, and I am so grateful for the close friends who have welcomed us into their homes over the past 12 years. This holiday (and all the food that you can eat on this day!) are definitely some of my favorite additions to the traditions that my family and I had established before moving to the US. For most foreigners, the oddest part about Thanksgiving is being grateful for what you have, only to go and get more material objects the next day. Working and going shopping on this day has shown me both sides of Black Friday and although you can get really great deals, I think spending that time with friends and family is much more important.  

Although there are many differences between the traditions of the cultures that I’ve grown up in, I wouldn’t trade my blended life for anything. Life is a learning experience!

*Photo courtesy of Unsplash 

Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.