Common Misconceptions About Women in Greek Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

We’ve all heard the stereotypes. We all know at least one person who might even confirm them. However, generally speaking, that’s all they are – stereotypes! I’m going to tell you right now that what you think of sororities is much different than how they actually are.

1. All sorority girls are blonde and dumb.

This is so far from the truth. Not only do sororities welcome women of all hair colors, they also hold a higher GPA than the average female undergraduate. According to thetab.com, the average GPA of females is currently a 3.2, while women in sororities hold a 3.446. On the UMaine campus specifically, all Greek women has a higher GPA than all women. 

2. Sorority girls pay for their friends.

Not quite. Women who join sororities join to be a part of the organization and because they want to do good in their community. Many of these women have the same goal to join the same organization which often results in long-lasting friendships. It is similar to if a person joined any other club or organization, you click with people who have the same interests as you. As far as dues are concerned, most organizations require dues even outside of college. For instance, Rotary Clubs, workers Unions, even certain careers require dues.

3. All they do is get drunk.

Most of Greek life spends a lot of their time giving back to their community. Each organization has a certain philanthropy that they contribute time and money to in efforts to try to do some good in the world. Not only do they volunteer for their specific philanthropy, a lot of times women in these organizations will do volunteer work within their own communities and on their campuses.

4. There are so many unnecessary rules.

I overheard a conversation taking place between two girls in one of my classes. One of them was in Greek life and the other was not. The Non-Greek was complaining that she could never join a sorority because of all of the rules. She said, “One of my friends was in a sorority and got in trouble for posting alcohol. I could never have someone tell me what I could and could not post”. Think of sororities as a professional development program. Would you want your future employer to choose a different candidate over you because one time your Sophomore year you got tagged in a picture on Facebook showing how trashed you were? Probably not. The guidelines and values that are put in place by sororities are there to allow women to become as professionally developed as they can be. These organizations highlight leadership as one of their main attributes, and having structured systems in place helps ensure that.

5. Sorority girls all talk shit about each other

There are going to be people you don’t like no matter where you go. But with that being said, that does not mean you get to talk shit about them. Yes, as with any group of human beings you get in, there will sometimes be drama. Most of the time in sororities, the girls are able to overcome this drama in a professional way that doesn’t leave everyone crying. Even if it is a sister you don’t necessarily like, they will still have your back no matter what and you will have theirs. That is the support system. You signed up to be there and share the values of these women, and they are in the same boat. They are there for you no matter what

6. Why don’t they just call each other “friends” instead of “sisters”?

Remember that unbreakable bond I was just talking about? Yeah. Basically it boils down to these girls all being there for each other at all times. Like family. Obviously we know that we were not born to or adopted by the same parents, but these women are so close to us that they feel like a family away from family and a home away from home, which is incredible to have in a university setting.

So if you have ever wanted to go Greek but were afraid of some of these stereotypes, consider contacting a person from a specific chapter to learn more!

https://umaine.edu/case/greek/panhellenic-council/how-to-join-a-sorority/

Reyleigh is a fourth year psychology major with a minor in business administration at the University of Maine. Reyleigh loves to travel, go to the ocean, take pictures, make art and spend time with family and friends. In her free time you can find her cuddling with her 12 year old English setter.
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.