Culture > News

Clare Crawley: Who is the New Bachelorette?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Recently, ABC Network officially announced Clare Crawley as the newest Bachelorette!

If you’re a new fan like me and only have recently tuned in for Peter’s season, you may be confused. Usually, the new bachelorette is chosen from the final few women left in the most recent bachelor’s season. Most people expected the new bachelorette to be either Kelley, Madison, Hannah Ann, or even Victoria F., as those were the final four women on Peter’s season. 

However, just because some of us aren’t familiar with Clare doesn’t mean she won’t be an amazing bachelorette! Here are five fast facts to familiarize ourselves with the newest bachelorette prior to the start of her season!

She has a track record of keeping her values and standing her ground!

Clare first appeared on Season 18 of The Bachelor when Juan Pablo Galavis was the bachelor. The two had a nasty split where Clare stood up for herself and spoke her mind. Before leaving the show, she famously told Juan Pablo that “[she] would never want my children having a father like you.” This was a real zinger because Juan Pablo was already a father, and it appears he took her comment to heart. Although this dramatic moment was six years ago, something tells me Clare is still feisty, maybe even more so years later, and will not be putting up with any disingenuous men this season – which I think we can all agree is a trait we would like to see in our bachelorette.

She’s a seasoned veteran of all things Bachelor and Bachelorette at this point!

The Bachelor isn’t the only show Clare has been on. In both 2014 and 2015, she spent her summer months on the first and second season of Bachelor in Paradise. Most surprisingly, she was in the Bachelor Winter Games in 2018, and as a result of her time there, ended up engaged to Benoit Beauséjour-Savard. Although the pair broke their engagement off shortly after, it doesn’t mean we can’t root for another happy ending for Clare this time around!

Although she doesn’t look it, she is the oldest bachelorette and will bring a much needed mature element to the process and show!

This next fact might surprise you – because even though she may not look it, Clare is actually thirty-eight years old which makes her the oldest bachelorette in the history of the show. Usually, people on this reality show are in their mid-twenties. But hey, age is just a number, and maybe a more mature established woman is what The Bachelorette needs!

She still has a day job and shares her passion for it with her followers on Instagram!

Before becoming the next bachelorette, Clare was a fantastic hairstylist in California! Her Instagram page highlights some of the gorgeous looks that she has created for clients. She is amazing at highlights, lowlights, color correction and crafting new cuts for her clients! It is great to see a bachelorette who loves her job so much and uses her platform to showcase her passion!

She’s ready to give it her all – no matter the outcome!

When she’s not posting her latest hair stylings, Clare loves posting inspirational quotes on her Instagram, which boasts a whopping 548,000 followers. Her latest post reads, “Choose courage over comfort. Choose whole hearts over armor. And choose the great adventure of being brave and afraid. At the exact same time. – Brené Brown,” I hope this quote reflects Clare’s impending Bachelorette experience. Even if falling in love and bearing your entire heart to someone is a scary thought,  taking that plunge just might be worth it in the end!

Be sure to tune into Clare’s season of The Bachelorette on Monday, May 18th!

Megan Ashe

U Maine '22

Megan Ashe is a full time undergraduate student at the University of Maine, located in Orono, ME. She is majoring in English, with a concentration in creative writing, and is also focusing on her minor in legal studies. After her time at the University of Maine, Megan hopes to attend law school and become a trial lawyer. But for now, she enjoys hanging out with friends, working at the the University Bookstore, watching true crime TV shows, and of course writing! Insta: megan_ashe2000