Campus Celebrity: Robbie Kiah

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Name: Robbie Kiah

Hometown: Brewer, Maine

Age: 20 years old

Major: Nursing

How are you involved on campus?

I am the Scholarship Chair for the Kappa Sigma fraternity on campus and I served on UMaine Student Government last year.

When did your MMA career start? What inspired you?

I started training MMA about a year ago at Young’s MMA. It’s a really great place to go if you are looking to get into the sport. I started to do a BJJ class there and was inspired by the level of intensity that some of the fighters brought to the gym.

How do you stay in shape for MMA?

When I’m training for a fight I practice two to three times a day. The Strength and Conditioning Coach Nash Roy makes sure that the fighters are in great shape for their fights. Besides training, I make sure to stick to a very regimented diet. Training definitely gives you a lot of bumps and bruises, it has its ups and downs, but it’s definitely worthwhile if you can handle it.

Everyone seems to be talking about your fight vs. Clifford Redman. Can you tell us how the fight went for you?

My first MMA fight went very well for me. I couldn’t have done it without the help of my coaches and everyone at Young’s MMA. Walking out to the fight was an exciting experience. Music was blasting, my coaches were giving me last minute advice, and a strobe light was flashing in the background. The fight itself was short. It ended via rear naked choke in 55 seconds of the first round.

What are your plans for the future involving MMA fighting?

I plan on continuing to train at Young’s MMA year round. Once the school year is finished, I plan on taking another fight in the summer.

You can watch Robbie’s fight here!

Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.