Campus Celebrity: Campus Rides and the tip whip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Spencer Wood is bringing the UMaine community Campus Rides and the Tip Whip.

The biggest hassle that college kids face when going out is figuring out a way there and back safely. UMaine graduate student, Spencer Wood, is taking a step towards relieving students of this burden this semester with the creation of Campus Rides and the Tip Whip.

Spencer, an alumni and graduate student here at UMaine, came up with Campus Rides with his friend at the University of New Hampshire, where it was initially launched in hopes to “help kids not drink and drive”. How does it work? You call the Tip Whip, let them know where you are, and Spencer will come pick you up and drive you to your destination. Although there is no set fee for the service, tips for his time and gas are highly, highly encouraged.

The Tip Whip is making it’s premiere here at the University of Maine this Thursday, January 16th and will run regularly Thursday through Saturdays from 8/8:30 p.m. 1:30/2 a.m.. Spencer also noted that there is the possibility of Sugarloaf Mountain trips on Saturdays during the day, although this will have a set fee ($20/person) unlike the regular night service where it is based solely off of tips.  The van fits up to seven people at a time. Bigger groups can also call or text earlier in the evening to make a reservation for the Tip Whip.

Wood is also in the midst of the creation of the Campus Rides app as well. He says that with the app, students will be able to go in and request to be a driver for the night or request rides. Until the app is finalized, however, you can get a hold of the Tip Whip at 207-659-9368.

Spencer says “it’s gonna be fun; musics gonna be bumpin” so don’t forget to call for the Tip Whip, starting this Thursday, and the remaining weekends of the semester! For any questions about the service or interest in getting involved, don’t hesitate to contact Spencer Wood of FirstClass! Also, don’t forget to like Campus Rides- UMaine on Facebook and tell your friends!

Erin Vogel is a Senior at the University of Maine majoring in Abnormal/Social Psychology with a minor in Child Development and Family Relations.
Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.