Campus Celebrity: The Black Bear Exchange

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Do you know where Estabrook Hall is located on campus? If you answered yes, then you know where the Black Bear Exchange is located. If you answered no, you now know where it is located.

The Black Bear Exchange (BBE) was the first food and clothing pantry of its kind to start at Universities and it started a trend across the nation. The BBE is led by Lisa Morin who puts in so much work and effort to make sure that anyone in need is helped. If you can’t find what you need at the BBE she will go elsewhere until it is found. She is an amazing woman with a huge heart.

The BBE is in place to help faculty and students in a time of need. If you ever find yourself in a bind whether it is food or clothing, make your way to the BBE and the friendly staff with help assist you. It is a very private experience. They do not probe you with questions about income and how great your need is, they simply give you what you need. They will explain to you the process of assistance and if you feel you don’t qualify, you simply don’t come back. If you think you do qualify, come back every week and choose from an assortment of products. You are allowed 15 items per week.

If you need a tie, dress shirt, winter jacket visit the BBE and you could possibly find one. Bring in an article of clothing with you and simply swap, or pay as little as one or two dollars.

Everyone is aware of the great need for food and clothing, so supplies are limited. In my CMJ 345: Service Learning and Small Group Communication class, we are assigned service projects. My group is assigned to the BBE and we are doing everything we can to help gather food and clothing. But most importantly get the word out about how important and beneficial the BBE is, in hopes that people will continue to donate after the semester is over.

Please visit the website by going to www.umaine.edu and searching Black Bear Exchange. Also like them on Facebook for reminders of upcoming events.

Upcoming events:

November 12, 2012: Food Drive at IGA Orono from 3:30 to 5:30

For the rest of the semester to November 29, 2012: Boxes will be in residence halls to donate clothing

November 30, 2012: Open House at BBE (all day event)