Campus Celebrity: Ashley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Last week, Ashley Fitzgerald was named UMaine’s 2014 Homecoming Queen! This week, she is our Campus Celebrity! When she’s  not busy receiving awesome titles, the Franklin, MA native can be found making a difference around campus. Read all about Ashley here!

School:

·         Major: Elementary Education and Psychology double major

·         Minor: Disabilities Studies

Campus Involvement:

·         Chi Omega, Xi Beta chapter

Panhellenic Delegate 2013

Secretary 2014

·         Panhellenic Council

Vice President 2014

Panhellenic Judicial Board 2013

·         All Maine Women Class of 2015

Co-Social Chair 2014-2015

·         Phi Sigma Pi National Honors Fraternity

Initiate Advisor 2014

Parliamentarian 2014

·         Bearfest Dance Marathon

Entertainment committee member 2013-2014

Entertainment Chair 2014-2015

·         Kappa Delta Pi Education Honors Society (Spring 2014)

·         Student Education Association of Maine (Spring 2014)

Career Goals

Ashley plants to get her masters in special education so that she can teach special education in an elementary school. Before then, she would like to teach kindergarten or first grade, although she is not yet sure where she would like to move after graduation.

The Fun Stuff!

First thought when you were announced Homecoming Queen?

“My first thoughts when they announced me as Homecoming Queen is that I did not think it was real. I thought for a second that maybe they were just still announcing us, but I knew they had finished that already. Once I realized it was actually real, I was beyond excited. A bunch of my Chi Omega sisters were there, and I looked over and they were all cheering for me. It was just really exciting.”

Favorite thing about UMaine?

“How much there is to do here. There are so many different clubs and organizations you can join. I have joined so many different organizations and gotten so involved on campus. By doing this, I met so many amazing people and made a lot of great friends.”

Favorite thing to do in Orono?

“My favorite thing to do in Orono is go out and eat with friends.”

The golden question: Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, or Aroma Joes?

“Dunkin Donuts!”

Favorite UMaine Memory?

“My favorite UMaine memory is my spring formal my freshman year for Chi Omega. The group of girls at the formal were so much fun and my parents came and I was able to introduce them to all of my sisters.”

Fun Fact:

“I have lived in New York, Michigan, Netherlands and Massachusetts!”

Advice for future Black Bears?

“To get involved on campus. It makes the experience so much better!” 

Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl.