This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Welcome back to the Staff Writer Spotlight! This week, I talked to Brooke Camire, our social media director. Brooke is a second-year Political Science and Economics major with a deep passion for social activism and feminism. She says that a political science major appealed to her because of her interests, and felt that she could gain the skills to make a difference in the world. Not only did her love and passion for social justice inspire her major, but it was her motivation to join our Her Campus chapter. As one of our most dedicated and hard-working members last year, she worked her way up from staff writer to social media director. 

One of Brooke’s favorite parts of her role is the curation of our Instagram feed. Between searching across Instagram for matching colors and using apps like Canva to create unique designs, she gets to decide what our followers see! She also says that her role has helped her get to know members better as well- whenever an article goes live on our website, Brooke posts a new Instagram story for it. She says, “I’ve been able to learn a lot about the other members and what their interests are. Most of them have a certain thing they like to write about, and you can tell when they’re really into a topic.”

Outside of her involvement in our chapter, Brooke is a tutor through the UMaine Tutor Program and a TA for ECO 121, a macroeconomics class. She also stays involved with her major as treasurer of the Women in Economics club through the School of Economics. Generally, this club goes to conferences and other networking events in-person, but Brooke says that they have been working hard to provide these experiences virtually. Many of the events are held with alumni and are centered around career-building skills and how to build (and utilize) a strong network. 

This summer, Brooke participated in a few of the Black Lives Matter protests in and near her hometown of Sanford, Maine. One protest she attended was in her town, and the other took place in Portland, the largest city in Maine. She says that the experience was incredibly powerful and helped her stand in solidarity with the Black community after the tragedies last year. One of her favorite classes as a political science major was POS 282, Introduction to American Law. In the course, they discussed The Color of Law, a book written about segregation in neighborhoods and how the capitalist system-unintentionally or not-keeps Black and African American families in impoverished or otherwise unfortunate economic situations. 

Brooke’s other hobbies include building her collection of vinyl records, playing the ukulele, and hiking, among other outdoor activities. Her family has a lake house on Wilson Pond, which allows her to spend lots of time enjoying all of the beauty that our state has to offer. She’s a huge fan of Taylor Swift, and like the rest of us, is so excited for “Fearless: Taylor’s Version,” which comes out in just a few weeks. We are so lucky to have her as part of our chapter and executive team!

Quinn is an incoming fourth-year student at the University of Maine with a double major in Journalism and Political Science. She currently serves as a Campus Correspondent for the UMaine chapter as well as holding the position of editor in Chief! Outside of her involvement in Her Campus, she is involved in the dance department at the University of Maine and performs in the showcases each semester. Quinn enjoys writing articles focused on politics, government, and current events, and in February of this year published her Capstone research on political polarization in the American government. Upon graduation in the spring, she hopes to pursue a career in broadcast or print journalism, as well as obtaining a Master's degree in Journalism.  
Logan Swift

U Maine '23

Logan is a rising third-year student attending the University of Maine! She is a Her Campus editorial intern and the president of the Her Campus UMaine chapter. Outside of Her Campus, she loves photography, fitness, and playing some good 'ol Animal Crossing.