Boston Strong: Boston Marathon Anniversary and Red Sox

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Spring is finally here, which means baseball season has officially begun. There are a limited number of days that unite all the teams in the major league, and April 15 is one of those days. All players on both sides of every game on this day wear number 42. Baseball has dedicated this day to the legacy of the player who wore number 42, Jackie Robinson. In 1947, this hall of famer broke the color barrier in baseball playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers. Robinson became the first black player in the 20th century to play in the major league. Number 42’s bravery and optimism to stand up for equal rights inspired thousands during this horrible time in our nation’s history. This year marked the 70th anniversary of Robinson’s impact in baseball. The Dodgers unveiled an 800 pound bronze statue honoring Robinson sliding into home plate. Number 42’s legacy will always be remembered for his influence and the major impact he brought to baseball and the nation. Every player and coach in the MLB wearing Robinson’s retired number shows a great amount of respect for the game and the player who changed the history of America’s beloved sport.

Patriot’s Day is annually held on the third Monday of every April. This day commemorates two of the earliest battles during the American Revolutionary War, the battles of Lexington and Concord. The Boston Marathon is not only the world’s oldest annual marathon, but is known as one of the world’s most prestigious road races. The Boston Marathon falls on Patriot’s Day, which is a state holiday in Massachusetts and Maine. Unfortunately, the Boston Marathon is now associated with the terrorist bombings on April 15, 2013. Four lives were lost and more than 260 others were injured. Although this was a horrible event in our nation’s history, it made our country stronger.

Baseball will always be just a game. But when pain and sorrow happens unexpectedly, people need hope and reassurance that everything is going to be okay in the end. Sports are a major part of people’s lives, and to some, they have a deeper meaning. A team of baseball players will never excuse the lives that were lost and forever changed that fateful day. But in the city of Boston, the Red Sox are a way of life. After a week of terror and sadness in Boston, the Red Sox gave the city hope and something good to focus on for a change. The opening ceremony honored the victims and paid a touching tribute to law enforcement, first responders, and volunteers. The players wore special home jerseys with Boston sewn across the chest rather than Red Sox. Boston legend Big Papi addressed the crowd with an unforgettable speech, “This jersey that we wear today, it doesn’t say Red Sox. It says Boston. We want to thank you Mayor Menino, Governor Patrick, the whole police department, for the great job that they did this past week. This is our fucking city. And nobody gonna dictate our freedom. Stay strong.” Big Papi’s speech brought back comfort and hope not only to the people of Boston, but the entire nation. Everything was going to be okay and there will be triumph over this tragedy.

The 109th edition of the World Series in 2013 was the Boston Red Sox against the St. Louis Cardinals. During the ninth inning at Fenway, pitcher Koji Uehara threw the final three outs of the game. This officially accomplished the greatest turnaround in baseball history. The Red Sox were champions of the 2013 World Series and it was the first time in 95 years the team had won at Fenway. The team was Boston Strong and it was a season that will always be remembered. The Red Sox embraced the role as a healer to the city of Boston and mended a broken city. Even if the team lost the World Series, they still would have been an inspiration for Boston and solidified a memorable baseball season. The 2013 Red Sox team symbolized hope and brought back the fighting spirit for the city of Boston. Four years later as the Boston Marathon is happening again today, we remember Boston Strong. 

Photo:

Laura is a Senior at the University of Maine studying Elementary Education with a concentration in Child Development. She is a member and the Vice President of Kappa Delta Pi; which is an international honor society for individuals majoring in education. Laura loves to dedicate her time outdoors, volunteering at the Bangor Humane Society, and values spending quality time with her family.
Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.