The Best Early 2000s Romantic Comedies on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

The early 2000s were the golden age of romantic comedies (and tiny purses, questionable pants and small dogs used as accessories). Here are some of the best rom-coms Netflix has to offer, for whether you’re Netflix and Chilling or simply hoping to look back at a time when the dating world wasn’t totally ruined by smartphones. 

The Prince and Me

Thanks to Julia Stiles’s haircut and Luke Mably’s hot accent, The Prince and Me is one of the most 2004-y movies of all time. This movie is also probably the reason why so many college women fall for total douchebags. (Like, he might be a prince, so totally just stick it out.)

Crossroads

Britney Spears essentially defined the early 2000s, so this list probably wouldn’t even exist without her. You could watch this movie on mute and still be entertained by just marveling over all of the low rise jeans and baby-tees.

13 Going on 30

13 Going on 30 is such a classic. Does anyone else feel like this movie is an accurate representation of their actual lives? Moving into my freshman dorm feels like yesterday and now I’m supposed to be looking for a real life job. (But like…I still want to wear butterfly clips in my hair.)

Along Came Polly

Realistically, Jennifer Aniston could star in a two-hour film about mashed potatoes and it would still be good. She’s literally perfect and this movie also gets bonus points for having a ferret in it. Plus, it gives us all hope that we’ll end up with our middle school crushes someday.

Legally Blonde

Tiffany Tag jewelry, pink pleather suits and frameless pink sunglasses were staple pieces for Elle Woods and as a result, every early 2000s girl. Elle Woods is still a style icon and a role model for women everywhere. (Like, who goes to law school to get revenge on an ex-boyfriend? What a boss!)

Jersey Girl

Ugh, Bennifer 1.0 was such a power couple. Love you guys. Also, RIP to video rental shops.   

50 First Dates

I actually hate this movie because I would probably jump off of a cliff if I had to go on a date with Adam Sandler everyday. 50 First Dates was number one at the box office for two weeks in a row, so either it’s pretty good or Drew Barrymore’s short-term-memory-lacking character saw it everyday for two weeks. Who knows.

Spanglish

How two different casting directors in the same year thought Adam Sandler would be a good fit for the male lead in a romantic comedy is beyond me. (Although, maybe I could do it if we didn’t speak the same language and I could just tune him out.)

Maid in Manhattan

Who doesn’t love a real life Cinderella story? Also, JLo is literally queen of early 2000s romantic comedies.

Meet the Fockers

“I have nipples, Greg. Could you milk me?” THIS MOVIE IS GENIUS.

Bridget Jones’s Diary

If you haven’t blown off all of your responsibilities and spent all day in bed watching the Bridget Jones movies, you haven’t lived. If you have already seen the classic, it’s still a great chance to brush up on all the juicy details of Bridget Jones’s messy love life before the release of the third movie, Bridget Jones’s Baby, this September.

Intolerable Cruelty

Two words: GEORGE CLOONEY. He’s even a total babe when he’s fighting against Catherine Zeta-Jones in divorce court.

My Boss’s Daughter

The first time I saw this movie, I was like, “wow this dad is way harsh.” Now that I think about it, having a daughter played by the actress who practically invented the nip slip is probably grounds for being an overbearing parent. 

Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl.