Wellness > Health

Bea’s Guide to Fall Hikes in Maine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

I’m sure you’ve taken note of the changing leaves and the brisk weather settling in, maybe you’ve even scraped a layer of ice off your car already. Although we may be adding layers to our wardrobe and boots to our feet, this is one of the best times to get outside in Maine.  If you are like me and get antsy as soon as you stay in the house for a few hours (which has been driving me crazy during Covid zoom classes), or even if you’re not a regular hiker and just want to get outside for a little while, I’ve got you covered. These are some of my favorite hikes in Maine, especially in the fall.

Baxter State Park

First up is my absolute favorite, Baxter State Park, which is only an hour and a half away from Orono! Baxter is a park like no other in Maine; this State Park does everything in their control to keep this park less trafficked and invasive to the wildlife. This makes it an amazing experience because you are able to immerse yourself in the heart of the Maine woods. There are small dirt roads through the park and pretty bare bones camping sites, which I find quaint and more appealing than other campgrounds. Because the park takes action to lighten traffic flow and maintain a relatively small population in the park they require that you reserve parking and sites ahead of time. They have a minimal amount of first come first serve day passes, so keep this in mind if you are driving from far away. I suggest planning ahead if you are interested in visiting!. The park offers a myriad of different hikes for different skill levels. The main attraction is Katahdin, a beautiful jagged 5,269 foot mountain, a crown jewel of Maine. This hike is amazing and has many different routes you can take, including Knife’s Edge, an exposed ridge trail offering panoramic views of the surrounding areas. This is a strenuous full day hike, and in the fall one should expect some snow and icy conditions at the top. Make sure to follow the “prepare for the worst, hope for the best” motto when attempting this in the fall, and make sure you are ready to take on a full day of hiking! Well worth it, truly amazing!

Not only is Baxter home to the famous Katahdin, but also many other peaks that make incredible day hikes. My favorite hike in the park would have to be the Owl. This is approximately 4,000 ft and rests at the foot of Katahdin. This hike offers incredible views of the Hunt trail, one of Katahdin’s beautiful exposed ridge trails. Not only does this hike have panoramic views, but also sheer 500 foot cliffs facing Katahdin. I love how lightly tread the trail is- whenever I have hiked it we have been one of maybe 2-3 groups on the mountain that day. This is a novelty we have in Maine: the ability to hike and be truly alone, not encountering hiker after hiker. This is something that you will definitely get on the Owl trail. That being said, the trail does start at the busy Katahdin Stream campground and follows the Hunt trail, which is part of the Appalachian Trail, before branching off to the Owl. You can expect to see other people on this portion of the trail. The Owl is the closest mountain to Baxter Peak, and is well worth the hike! Make sure to prepare for this one also, you will most likely encounter cold winter weather at the top!

Camden Hills State Park

This is a park I discovered  this summer, but it is just as scenic during autumn as the leaves turn! This is also around an hour and a half from campus and has many smaller hikes that will take your breath away (both literally and figuratively). This park is in Camden, a quintessential coastal Maine town. The mountains being on the coast offer incredible views of Penobscot Bay and the surrounding hills region. You can easily hike these mountains in a few hours, I normally take around 2 hours round-trip. If you have a dog, these are the hikes for you because they don’t have too many technical parts that you would have to lift a dog up through, and I find they are the perfect length for a dog walk. Even my chunky black lab can take these ones on! Some of my favorites are Mt. Megunticook, Bald Mountain, and Mt. Battie. Highly suggest these ones for perfect fall day trips, you could even grab lunch or dinner in the adorable town of Camden after!

Fire Towers

Fire towers on top of mountains are always the best surprise! This is a way to hike a relatively small mountain that hasn’t hit the tree line, and scale a ladder or staircase to get amazing views from a platform. Two notable fire tower hikes in Maine are Mount Pisgah located an hour and half from campus in Winthrop, and Mount Kineo on an island in Moosehead Lake. A small hike, I think even smaller than the Camden Hills, is Mount Pisgah. This is an easy short walk through the woods, on well maintained trails that leads to a fire tower. The fire tower is steep so if you are afraid of heights this may not be your best bet, but it is so cool and offers amazing views. Mount Kineo is an interesting hike, very different from Pisgah! In fact, you not only have to drive to Moosehead, but you also have to take a boat ride to the island where the mountain is. I took this ferry this summer and was pleasantly surprised with their COVID-19 precautions. This hike is a bit bigger than Mount Pisgah and has a similar fire tower on top, this adds a little bit of excitement to your trip. The views from the Kineo summit are unreal-not only are you on an island surrounded by a massive beautiful lake, but you are also enveloped in the opaque foliage of the mountains of Maine.

I could go on and on about the hikes and views of our great state and how they light up with warmth in the fall, but I feel as though I should let you experience this yourself. What I can say is that the second your foot crunches in those autumn leaves, the cool air settles around you, and the sun radiates off your skin, there will be no regret. So, get out there and try out the Maine woods, uncover the beauty of your state.

I am a senior Ecology and Environmental Science major concentrating in Sustainability, Environmental Policy, and Natural Resource Management with a minor in Political Science. I love spending my time outside, skiing, surfing and hiking as well as writing, singing and playing music! I am very passionate about conserving the environment and creating a more sustainable future.