Bachelorette Week Five: Bachelor Nation Welcomes Tayshia!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Now that Clare and Dale have made their dramatic exit, there is hope for the other men to find love with Tayshia! She walked out of the limo looking stunning in a shimmery gold gown and a big smile. Chris Harrison led her into the mansion to meet the men, who all audibly gasped when they saw her. She hugged everyone and was handed a drink to get the party started! It’s clear they are all excited for another opportunity to find love, and Ivan was the first to jump at the chance to spend time with her. Ivan told her he is ready to give their relationship “100 percent” of his effort, and it’s great that all of the men are so accepting of Tayshia despite the shake-up this season. It seems like all of the men are really bonding with Tayshia, which is a nice change from what everyone had to suffer through for the first few weeks of the season. 

In yet another twist, the guys had their bubble popped when four new suitors showed up in limos! Spencer, Mindel, Peter, and Noah bring the list of guys up to twenty, and they are here to steal Tayshia’s heart! The guys grumbled that it was unfair, but honestly, it would be more unfair than Tayshia is given such a small pool of men after Clare was eliminating people based on the fact that they weren’t Dale. Spencer was one of the new guys who stepped out of the limo and he immediately caught Tayshia’s eye. He’s handsome and new to the scene like Tayshia. She gave him the first impression rose and seems excited about the prospect of a relationship with him. They even kissed! 

However, Spencer is not a hit amongst the other men and is quite rude and condescending. Like dude, you just got here- how about you chill out a little bit? Zac C. comments, in regards to Spencer, that there is some “stanky-ass energy” in the room. Hopefully, Spencer’s attitude shapes up, or Tayshia realizes he’s a snake. Tayshia isn’t putting all her eggs in one basket though, and she actually cancels the rose ceremony to spend more time with the guys. 

Meanwhile, Clare and Dale sit down with Chris Harrison to discuss their recent engagement and how they destroyed the season. Clare says everything is a dream come true and that Dale is always there for her in her time of need. She wants people to be happy for them, but it’s hard to be happy for the worst Bachelorette in history. She still claims she and Dale didn’t talk before the show, and honestly, I’m not buying it. Things might not be perfect for Dale and Clare in the future, as she mentions wanting babies and he avoids answering the question about having kids. Not that anyone is surprised- they’ve only known each other a few months! 

Tayshia’s first group date card arrives and Blake, Riley, Zac C., Jordan, Noah, Peter, Eazy, Spencer, Jay, and Kenny are all invited. They are ready to lounge by the pool, relax, and play splash-ball, a game that’s basically just basketball in the water. The men go at it and Spencer seems a little aggressive. Maybe he has anger issues. Riley accidentally elbows Spencer in the face and he gets sympathy from Tayshia because he’s bleeding. Eazy ends up with the group date rose after a great conversation with Tayshia. 

Later, Jason drops a bombshell. He still has feelings for Clare, and he will be leaving the show because he can’t separate that from a potential relationship with Tayshia. I feel bad for him because Clare has already made her choice, and it’s clear that she’s not changing her mind. He feels it’s only fair to the other men and he doesn’t want to lead Tayshia on. He tells her that he wants to give everyone whose heart is still open the chance to pursue her,  and this is just a personal issue he is facing. Tayshia still worries that all the men might see her as a second choice and remains concerned for her prospects to find love. 

She enters a one on one date with Brendan where they ride horses, but Chris Harrison interrupts the pair often as a joke because he had previously interrupted their conversation. He eventually lets the joke go and leaves them alone so they can go for a swim and ramp up the physical chemistry. At dinner, they both say how they’ve been married and divorced and how they both really want children. He gets a rose, but to everyone’s horror, Tayshia says she feels like she’s kissing her person and she wants to marry him. Will she start acting like Clare? Can this season get any more wild? Tune in next week to find out! 

Watch The Bachelorette on Tuesday evenings at 8/7c or the next day on Hulu!

Megan Ashe

U Maine '22

Megan Ashe is a full time undergraduate student at the University of Maine, located in Orono, ME. She is majoring in English, with a concentration in creative writing, and is also focusing on her minor in legal studies. After her time at the University of Maine, Megan hopes to attend law school and become a trial lawyer. But for now, she enjoys hanging out with friends, working at the the University Bookstore, watching true crime TV shows, and of course writing! Insta: megan_ashe2000