7 Reasons to Love Amy Schumer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Okay, not to sound like that annoying hipster kid you had Spanish with in high school that thought he was cool for listening to Nirvana before everyone else did (like lol, hello, that music was all released before you were born), but ever since Inside Amy Schumer came out a few years ago, I’ve been Amy-obsessed. I finally got to see her live last weekend, and it was amazing

In the midst of the social media uproar that was the result of last weekend’s 47-minute show, I’ve compiled a list of seven reasons why I (and most likely you, too) LOVE Amy Schumer.

1. She admits when she’s wrong (even when it isn’t entirely her fault).

Last weekend, Schumer received criticism for performing too short of a set at the first of two shows at the Cross Insurance Arena in Portland, Maine. Angry fans took to social media to say that they felt they deserved a refund. In response, Amy tweeted, “Loved the first crowd in Portland. You guys were amazing. Felt short to me too. Had to keep the show under 70 minutes to move the next crowd in.”

Later, in an interview with Portland TV station WCSH 6, Schumer apologized further, saying, “I feel horrible about it, but I promise it wasn’t laziness, or that I didn’t respect the crowd. I have to be out there, it was strictly a rookie mistake, and I’m sorry that they had to pay for it.”

Realistically, the length of the show was completely out of Schumer’s control. The 10:30 show was added after the 7:30 show sold out (thank you, from a fan who was too hungover the morning the tickets went on sale to be awake before they were all gone). Even though the entire mishap wasn’t her fault, Schumer took full responsibility.

How many artists use excuses or place the blame elsewhere when something goes wrong with one of their shows? Most of them. Amy’s ability to sincerely apologize is seriously awesome.

2. She understands the whole “kind of dating” thing.

You know that thing where you’re like, kind of dating someone? Like, you’ve hung out sober before and you’re almost past the “he waited five minutes before texting me back, so I’m going to wait seven” phase? Well, Amy’s totally been there. Here’s the proof:

3. She loves wine just as much as we do.

Pretty self explanatory.

4. She’s more than just the “funny girl” that she’s always labeled as.

Read any article published about Schumer, and you’ll find that the phrase “funny girl” always comes before her name. In reality, Schumer isn’t a funny girl. She’s an empowering woman. When most celebrities become really famous for the first time, they use their newfound fame to improve their image. They get a bomb-a$$ stylist, hair extensions and maybe even veneers.

Schumer has used her fame (and stylist) to not only raise her own confidence, but to inspire other women to do the same.

Additionally, Schumer is actively working to support legislation that proposes background checks aimed at preventing mass shootings. When two “Trainwreck” moviegoers were killed and nine injured this summer, Schumer used her fame to shed light on the issue.

5. She’s as comfortable in her skin as we all wish we could be.

On body confidence, Schumer said, “I feel very comfortable in my own skin. When someone makes jokes about me being heavy, it makes me mad. It’s not true. I’m right where I should be.”

It’s time to stop praising Schumer for being an inspiration for women because she’s “heavy.” She isn’t heavy. She’s an exactly healthy weight. (Also, she has totally enviable legs.) We should praise Schumer for being an inspiration for women because she’s an example of how to love yourself properly.

6. She makes us think while making us laugh.

Schumer’s jokes are more than just knee-slappers—they’re social commentary. Her best jokes make us laugh, but then scratch our heads.

7. She says what we’re all afraid to say, but need to hear.

Schumer is finally realistically approaching all of the topics we’ve been trained to shy away from. Women can have sex and drink and eat whatever they want and not have to worry about being labeled “unladylike.”

Love you, Amy.

Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl.