kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

6 Things You Need to Have in Your Car This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Jumper Cables: This is something everyone should buy the moment you buy your car. No matter if your car is ten years old or brand new, you never know when you or a friend might need them and you can find them for less than 20 bucks at Walmart.

A Snow Brush: This is definitely only necessary if you go to school in a crazy cold place like Orono, but it is oh so worth it. Do not be that girl that is pushing the snow off of her car in 20 degree weather with her bare hands.

Blanket: This might be a little over the top but I always keep a small blanket in my trunk just in case of emergencies. It is always great to be bundled up if your car breaks down on the side of the road!

Mittens: Whether you don’t want to touch your frozen steering wheel or want to stay toasty while you clean the snow off your car, mittens are essential to a Maine winter and you definitely don’t want to go without them!

A Phone Charger: When it’s cold out, your phone can die way faster than normal, so it’s a great idea to have a portable phone charger or even a car charger in your vehicle.

An Emergency Call List: My mom has always told me to have a list of papers with important numbers on them. If there is any emergency and your phone does not work, keep a towing company’s number, a parents phone number, or any other important numbers that may come in handy if you are stuck in the snow or have been in an accident.

Emma is a junior at the University of Maine at Orono. She double majors in sociology and political science and is minoring in law and legal studies. In her free time, Emma loves to go fishing, snowmobile, kayak, read, sew and explore the great state of Maine! Instagram: @empooler
Gabbi is a senior at the University of Maine studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in Psychology. She hopes to write and publish her own novel one day!