5 Ways to Survive Going to UMaine!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Not everyone can survive living in arctic temperatures, placed in a rural town, with scarce entertainment. No need to fret though, these survival tips will get you through your UMaine career and make you look like a pro!

Buy a pair of boots
If you plan on walking around campus at all you need a pair of boots. It doesn’t matter if their Uggs, high heeled, cowboy, flat, or for the rain; during the blizzard you’ll want to keep your feet warm and dry. Just make sure to buy a pair that are going to last you. The last thing you’ll want is to walk home with a hole in them.

Curb your boredom

It’s a little tough, but you can find lots of stuff to do in and around Orono. There are always events sponsored by UMaine, but if none are appealing to you check out a local restaurant (like City Park Grille in Old Town) or visit a new spot on campus (try the Littlefield Ornamental Garden across from DTAV). Plus, there are lots of things to do off campus too. Check out this article on how to enjoy fall at UMaine here.

Enjoy the cold weather
You’re in for a rough ride if you don’t enjoy the snow! Find ways to embrace it instead of dread it. Go sledding, build a snowman, or leave town and hit the slopes. Winter is half the year in Maine, so you’re going to fare better if you can learn to love it. At the end of a cold day warm up with hot cocoa or cider and a good book.

Know where you can park!!
Residents park in red, commuters in black. Everyone should know this by now, but it’s common to see someone trying to sneak past UMaine parking police with their car in the wrong lot. Aside from parking where you’re supposed to, keep an eye out for places to park that few people know about – and increase your chances of finding a spot. For example, there’s commuter parking by York housing, and at the back of the Steam Plant Lot. There’s resident lots behind Merrill hall and in front of Sigma Nu. It might be a longer walk, but you’ll save yourself the ticket money (and get a small workout in!).

Know the peak times, and avoid them

Campus driving isn’t fun. If you’re leaving or arriving at times when classes are just ending or beginning you’re going to be delayed. Avoid this by leaving 10 minutes earlier than usual. You’ll find a parking spot easier and be on time! If you’re headed to the union for lunch remember that at noon time it’s going to be packed. Wait an hour and you’ll be able to find a table much more easily. If you have to eat there at noon make sure to save your table by leaving your stuff on it, and then go get your food. 

photo credit: google images