5 Things You Know to Be True When You Are the “Mom Friend”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

There is always that one friend in every group that is the “mom”.  They take care of drunken friends, drive people around in their car and cook meals.  Here are five things that every mom of a friend group will understand. 

1. Everyone is always coming to you for advice.

Whether it be about boys, school or friends, you are the person that people seem to come to when they need something.

2. You are usually the one taking care of everyone else.

We all have those friends that sometimes just go a little too crazy on the weekends. You always seem to find yourself carrying your friends, putting them to bed and making sure that they are safe and sound. When out at a party you make sure that you know where everyone is and that everyone makes it home safely.

3. People at least once have referred to you as “Mom” instead of by your actual name

In high school, and now college, odds are your friends have called you “mom” a few times. It might seem like they are making fun of you when they say this, but they know that you have always got their backs and care about them just like a mom would. It’s a compliment!

4. You usually have to get forced to go out.

If you are the mom friend, you probably don’t always like to go out on the weekends and get as “wasted” as your friends do. Your friends have to come drag you out of bed and to the party 90 percent of the time. When you do go out though, you still have fun, you are just smart about the situation and are still making sure your friends are alright. Let’s be real though, you would much rather just be the DD and stay home.

5. People seem to rely on you for everything.

Even though your friends are similar to you, you seem to have your “shit together” in a way. You get asked questions about how to cook something, help with homework, keeping organized, etc. Even though you’re still in the same boat as your friends, you may come off a little more mature than them, but that’s not a bad thing!

Don’t look at being the “Mom friend” as a bad label. Appreciate that being like a mom is just who you are, and trust me, your friends truly appreciate it even if they don’t say it to you.

Photo: 1, 2

Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.