jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things More Important than the Starbucks Red Cup Controversy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Move over, Grinch. It looks like Starbucks is the latest thief of Christmas!

Just kidding. But, if you’ve spent any amount of time on social media in the past day, you’ve probably seen a tweet or two about the “Starbucks Red Cup Controversy.”

According to CNBC, the infamous Starbucks Christmas cup debuted in 1997. Through the last 18 holiday seasons, Starbucks has featured a variety of designs from snowmen to reindeers to celebrate everyone’s favorite time of year.

However, a number of customers are basically losing their schnitzel over this year’s cup. Even Donald Trump is suggesting that we boycott Starbucks. (LOL, goodluck. Pretty much nothing will come between us and Starbucks.)

So what’s the big deal? Did an offensive symbol accidentally slip into this year’s design? Did they change the Starbucks mermaid logo to a picture of Scrooge?

Nope. It’s just a red cup. (With some killer ombré vibes, we might add.)

Remember when Kim Kardashian dropped her diamond earring in the ocean, and Kourtney was all, “Kim, there’s people that are dying!” And we were all like, “Oh, Kim! You’re so silly!”

This whole controversy is kind of on the same level.

We’re going to side with Kourtney on this one. There are people that are dying, but for some reason, a Christmas cup that isn’t explicitly Christmas-y is our nation’s current primary concern. Here are five ways to spread holiday cheer this season without having to give up Peppermint Mocha Lattes:

1. Volunteer

What better way to to make a difference this season than volunteering your time? Soup kitchens, homeless shelters, assisted living facilities and other community resources are a great place to start! The UMaine Bodwell Center always has volunteer opportunities.

2.  Donate

Food, clothes and toy drives are on every corner once the holidays roll around, so find your favorite cause and make a contribution. The Black Bear Exchange is our on-campus food pantry and clothing exchange and is holding a drive on Dec. 5.

3. Pay It Forward

Have a few extra dollars? Buy a coffee for the person behind you in the drive-thru line!

4. Spread Random Acts of Kindness

We get it, college students are short on cash, especially during the holidays. Brighten someone’s day with a random act of kindness. Leave random compliment notes around campus. Hold the elevator. Say thank you to a custodian!

5. Spread Holiday Cheer

Pull a Buddy the Elf and sing loud for all to hear!

Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl. 
Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events. 
Samantha Nardone is a Junior Communications major at the University of Maine in Orono. After she graduates she plans on attending Law School in Boston, Massachusetts. She enjoys blogging, taking snapshots, and keeping up with the latest trends.
Terry Shortt is a fourth year Journalism major minoring in WGS Studies and Creative Writing at the University of Maine. In her free time she enjoys writing, reading, playing dress up, crafting, and eating. She fancies herself to be a sex positive, feminist, Martha Stewart. She enjoys the simple pleasures in life, like warm summer nights and perfect cat-eyes.