This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

UMaine is a wonderful place filled with nature spots, beautiful old buildings, all types of different people, and so much more. Another thing it’s filled with is snow, potholes, and bad parking. Winter is the culprit of some of the worst things about UMaine, and I’m here to rant about them.

1. The FREAKING potholes.

Honestly, I shouldn’t have even got myself started. Have you seen those things? They are so big and literally all over the place. The cluster in front of Maine Bound is unacceptable. You hit one and honestly lose your breath, hoping you didn’t get a flat. And then you hit one right after that’s even bigger and do all you can not to cry. A flat tire and $200 later, I’ve been taking the bus a lot more.

2. ZERO parking due to snowbanks.

I understand that the snow has to go somewhere, okay? I get it. But must it go in the center of the CCA when the parking there is already limited? And in the commuter section? Seriously?

3. Dressing for the walk vs. dressing for class.

You have your wool socks, bean boots, jeans, a big sweater, your puffy winter jacket, a scarf, mittens, and a hat to brace the cruel walk from your car or dorm to class. Then you get in your seat and your classroom is 80 degrees and the sweater your wearing suddenly seems like a big, big mistake.

4. The cold hand you get from carrying your coffee.

I will not go to class without an iced coffee in hand. I also never think to bring gloves so my coffee-carrying hand basically falls off before I even make it from my car to the edge of the parking lot.

5. Expecting a snow day and not getting one.

I think one of the most heart wrenching things is rolling over at 7 or 8 am to check your phone to a blank screen, meaning that UMaine has not cancelled classes. Then you peak your head out the window and see the massive pile of snow on top of your car that you have to clean off. And then trying to actually make it out of your spot without getting stuck. And THEN carrying your iced coffee to class in a snow storm!

Moral of the story: UMaine, please fix the damn potholes.

Photo

Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.