5 Halloween Movies to get You Ready for Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

It’s one of the best times of the year! Pumpkin bread, candy corn, apple picking, carving pumpkins, and best of all, Halloween movies!!!

To save you time from searching for just the right movie to watch on your next movie night, I’ve compiled a list of my top 5 favorite Halloween movies to watch with friends.

Halloween Town

This is a classic! I love watching this with friends because it always brings up old childhood memories, which results in great conversations.

Available to watch on Hulu and Disney +

Hocus Pocus

This was the first Halloween movie I watched with my friends this year, and it was so much fun!! We laughed a lot as we picked up on some things none of us noticed as children, and all had so much fun watching while eating some Halloween snacks and sipping hot chocolate. Available to watch on Disney+, and Spotlight Cinemas in Orono also has screening times available!

Beetlejuice

This is a Tim Burton classic about a ghost couple that haunts their home alongside a poltergeist named Beetlejuice. If you have yet to see this, save this for your next movie night!

Available to watch on Youtube Movies.

Twitches

Another childhood favorite! Two teen witches who were separated at birth and were adopted by two different families meet on their 21st birthday and must use their powers to save the world in which they were born. The lead characters are played by real-life twins, Tia and Tamera Mowry- you may remember them from the show Sister, Sister! We get to watch a friendship grow while watching with our own friends!

Available to watch on Disney +

The Blair Witch Project

Looking for something a little scarier?  This one is great to watch with friends because, let’s face it, who wants to get creeped out by themselves (maybe you do, no judgment)? This movie is about friends shooting a documentary together about the Blair Witch near Burkittsville, Maryland. This one gets scary really quickly- make sure you have a blanket to hide under for this one!

Available to watch on Prime Video.

I'm a junior at the University of Maine studying Psychology & Kinesiology, and I currently work as a personal trainer. I love all things fitness, health, and love learning more to better mental wellness in myself and those around me. I enjoy hiking, music, and anything fall related (always down for a scary movie)!!