5 Drinks to Make for Cinco de Mayo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Cinco de Mayo..the perfect excuse to get tipsy on a weekday! Try these five drink recipes to spice up your day.

1. Horchata

Ingredients:

• 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
  • 1 quart warm water
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • Whole cinnamon sticks, optional, for serving

How to Make:

1. In a blender, combine the rice and warm water. Blend for 1 to 2 minutes until the rice breaks up but does not form a powder. Let the rice mixture stand in the refrigerator for six hours or up to overnight.
  2. Strain the rice mixture into a container through a fine-mesh sieve or several layers of cheesecloth to remove the rice solids.
  3. Pour the rice water into a blender and add the milk, vanilla and almond extracts, cinnamon, and sugar. Blend for 1 minute until well combined and smooth. Serve the horchata over ice with cinnamon sticks as stirrers.

(Recipe courtesy of Ingrid Hoffman)

2. Michelada

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup kosher salt
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 4 limes, cut into wedges
  • 4 (12-ounce) bottles beer
  • Hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
  • Worcestershire sauce

How to Make:

1. Combine the salt and chili powder in a small bowl and transfer to a flat plate. Rub a lime wedge around the rim of each beer mug and dip it into the chili-salt to coat the rim. Squeeze the juice of 4 lime wedges into each mug. Add a lime wedge to the mug and fill with ice. 
  2. Add 1 bottle of beer, a dash of hot sauce and a dash of Worcestershire sauce and serve immediately.

(Recipe courtesy of Ingrid Hoffman)

3. Gelatin Margarita Shots

Ingredients:

• One 3-ounce package lime flavored gelatin
  • 1/2 cup orange liqueur, such as Cointreau
  • 1/2 cup chile-infused tequila
  • 15 limes
  • Kosher salt, for sprinkling
  • Special equipment: mini muffin tin

How to Make:

1. Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the lime gelatin and stir until the gelatin dissolves. Pour into a liquid measuring cup and mix in the orange liqueur and tequila.
  2. Meanwhile, cut the limes in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh out of both halves. Place each half in the cups of a mini muffin tin and pour the gelatin mixture into each half. Place the muffin tin in the fridge until set.
  3. Cut each half into 2 wedges, sprinkle with salt

(Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens)

4. Tequila Refresca

Ingredients:

• Ice cubes
  • 1 ounce tequila, white or gold
  • Dash Campari
  • 6 ounces grapefruit soda,(recommended: Fresca)
  • Small wedge fresh pineapple, grapefruit, and lime

How to Make:

1. Fill a goblet or rocks glass with ice cubes. Add the tequila and a dash of Campari to give the drink a slight blush and balance the sweetness of the soda. Top off with the grapefruit soda. Skewer the fruit and stir into the cocktail. Drink.
  2. Serve with a plate of wedged pineapple, a small bowl of your favorite chili powder, and coarse salt, for dipping.

5. Classic Margarita

Ingredients:

• Limes
  • 1 cup tequila
  • 1/3 cup orange-flavored liqueur
  • 2/3 cup fresh lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons superfine sugar

How to Make:

1. Rub the rim of 4 rocks glasses with lime; dip in coarse salt. 
  2. Fill three-quarters of the way with ice. Combine 1 cup tequila, 2/3 cup fresh lime juice, 1/3 cup orange-flavored liqueur and 2 teaspoons superfine sugar in a cocktail shaker. 
  3. Shake well, then pour into the glasses. Garnish with lime.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Abby is a second year Business Management and Marketing double major at the University of Maine. She is a sister of Alpha Phi and enjoys reading, knitting, traveling, and spending time with friends and family in her spare time.
Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.