Palm Trees California Street Blue Skies
Palm Trees California Street Blue Skies
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

12 Thoughts I’ve Had as a Californian Going to School in Maine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

I moved from Palo Alto, California to Maine about a year ago due to a scholarship I received.  Since coming here, I have been asked everything from, “Why did you come all the way to Maine?” to “Did you surf to school?”.  Mainers are genuinely interested in my choice to move here, but I’m more interested in their way of life and the differences I’ve noticed so far! Below you will see 12 thoughts I’ve had as a Californian in Maine.

1. So. Many. Trees

That is word for word a text I sent a friend of mine the first time I flew into Bangor International Airport for Freshman Orientation. Prior to coming here, I had been told that there are more trees than people and now I can’t help but believe them.

2. Is Wicked their version of Hella?

On the West Coast, we used “Hella”. A lot. It was an adjective to describe an adjective for us. In context, we would say things like “That sounds hella fun!” or “That top is hella cute!” I’ve heard Wicked being used here. Is it your version of “Hella”?

3. Gas is SO cheap.

Gas prices in California right now are $4.50 for 87 Octane – the cheapest gas. Let that sink in. Nearly $5 for one gallon. Meanwhile here, it is just under $3 for a gallon. For all of you wanting to live in California, think of how much more gas you get here.

4. Yes, we have Vineyard Vines on the West Coast, too.

I’m not sure why but this has shocked so many people I’ve encountered. We have Vineyard Vines too but we don’t have an outlet for Vineyard Vines, so you’ve got California there, Maine!

5. Why can’t Mainers just admit that Moxie tastes (kinda) like Mr. Pibb?

The first time I tried Moxie, I genuinely thought it was an off brand of Mr. Pibb. Mainers, don’t at me, please. I don’t think it’s horrible, but it’s not something I would choose to consume again.

6. Why are Nike’s called sneakers and not tennis shoes?

I have been looked at so strangely by people when I refer to my Nike running shoes as tennis shoes and not sneakers. Sneakers to people on the West Coast are Vans, Converse, etc. Nikes, Adidas, and other athletic footwear are what we label as tennis shoes.

7. You don’t have to ask to pay for a shopping bag.

There is no bag fee here so when I asked the poor, confused girl at the Vineyard Vines Outlet in Freeport if I could pay for a bag, she was just as lost as I was. Turns out in Maine, you don’t need to pay the $0.25 or $0.10 bag tax like you do in California. The shopping bags are free, everywhere!

8. Krispy Kreme donuts are SO better than Dunkin Donuts

In terms of donuts, Krispy Kreme is SO much better. It is atrocious that the closest Krispy Kreme is in Portland, you are all being done a huge disservice.

9. Why do Maine and California share so many town names?

Fairfield. Oakland. Carmel. Freeport. Auburn. Sanford. Belfast. Just to name a few.

10. Bean Boots are the new Uggs.

Everywhere you look in California, you will see a sea of rolled up Uggs as soon as Fall approaches. I am guilty of this. Here, it’s Bean Boots because they are suited for any weather situation. It starts to rain.. Bean Boots. Fall day.. Bean Boots. Snowing a bit.. Bean Boots. Want shoes that are cute with flannel? Bean Boots. Maybe I need to purchase a pair myself.

11. Game of Throne’s “Winter is Coming” is a phrase they should use for Maine’s winters.

Full disclosure, California’s winters are rain. Not a whole lot of rain either. Here, you go to class in heavy snow like it’s a normal day and you carry on as usual. Also, negative temperatures are expected and common for some winter nights.

12. Why do people keep asking why I didn’t just go to Stanford?

Yes, I lived in Palo Alto. No, I didn’t go to Stanford. Why? I could not get into Stanford because it’s close to impossible. For context, they have a 3% acceptance rate. There are more rejections than acceptances from Stanford to kids at my high school and we were right next door. University of Maine is better anyways (-:

In all seriousness, I love Maine, it’s a beautiful state filled with extremely kind individuals. I truly can’t imagine going anywhere but the University of Maine. Go Black Bears!

Natasha Minskoff is currently a fourth year at the University of Maine where she is double majoring in economics and history. She has been a Staff Writer for Her Campus for almost three years now and loves writing articles about current events and topics she is passionate about. She has served as the Treasurer, Marketing Director, Editor in Chief, and is now serving as the Chapter President for the second semester!
Gabbi is a senior at the University of Maine studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in Psychology. She hopes to write and publish her own novel one day!