12 Pains of Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.
Studying abroad is an experience like no other in college.  You are away from your friends, family and home university for four months, and surrounded by amazing new things everywhere. Here are 12 pains of studying abroad.

1. Your classes are on a pass/fail basis, so you hardly have to study or do homework ever.

2. On the rare occasions that you have to actually study, the classes and the grading are much easier at your host university.

3. You can go out every night of the week, because there is always a club going up on a Tuesday-and you don’t need to worry about schoolwork!

4. The drinking culture is very relaxed, and if you are under 21, you can drink abroad.

5. You get to try amazing new foods every day.

6. You meet friends from all over the world that you will share indescribable bonding experiences with. 

7. You can travel to a different country or city every weekend, for cheap.

8. You get to go on an amazing spring (or fall) break.

9. You can spend whole afternoons hanging out in cafes drinking coffee and people-watching.

10.  You can take cool classes abroad for your major that aren’t offered at home.

11. You can most likely learn a foreign language and it is much easier than in a classroom, because you are immersed in it. 

12.  You learn to adapt amazingly to a new culture with new customs, and it makes you a more well-rounded and open-minded person.

Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.
Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.