This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

My parents have always looked out for me, and because I was the first child they sent off to college, they were not only cautious about where I studied, but what I studied. I grew up in a household that was secure and safe, but I definitely felt when there was tension in relation to money. I was always taught to think like this:

• Good major = good job
  • Good job = money
  • Money = life
  • More money = better life.

In my first year at college I changed my mind about majors, like, a million times. After taking a few writing classes and doing some research, I decided to major in journalism. I had finally found my niche and it felt so good to begin studying what I was interested in! I was excited to start doing what I would do for the rest of my life.

And then I told my parents. Of course they were relieved I had finally made a decision, but I knew they were concerned about my choice. I heard:

• “There aren’t any jobs in journalism.”
  • “You won’t make money.”
  • “It’s not reliable.”

All the excitement left my body, leaving me empty, scared, and really, really upset.

Of course I want to make money coming out of college, who doesn’t? I had done some research on journalism careers and felt that I would be secure and happy choosing this path. But repeatedly being told that there aren’t any jobs in my area of study (from multiple people who don’t know much about my area of study) made me feel like one of my biggest life decisions was invalid and silly.

The problem is that many people look at things from a monetary perspective, which is understandable considering the ups and downs the economy has undergone. “Safe” majors, like engineering, business, chemistry, law, or medicine make big money. Therefore, they are seen as more worthwhile.

But what about the rest of us? What about the English and art and education and women’s studies and communications and history and dance and film majors?

We are perceived as coming out of college scrambling for a job, any job, anything that will offer a fraction of the security a job as an engineer or business person would.

But we’re valuable, too. The world needs us, and we can do great things.

The world need teachers and teachers need books. The world needs publishers for those books. And publishers need writers to write and illustrators to draw for those books.

The world needs political and authoritative figures, and they need to be informed on a variety of issues, so they turn to human rights specialists, religious leaders, history and international relations experts. The information gathered needs to be reported in an effective way, and campaign and public relations managers are needed for just that.

The world needs news and entertainment. News and entertainment channels need reporters and innovative minds to research and create stories. And they need directors and cameramen, website and film editors, producers, designers, and musicians. And these channels need publicity, so advertisers and artists create promotional materials.

Sure, it’s a bit of a stretch, but are ya catchin’ my drift?

It’s that every job depends on every other job’s specialties. Each job, each major, is needed in one way or another.

It’s silly to pick a major based on income alone. If you choose a career path you know you will be miserable in but makes a lot of money, let me be the one to remind you that your job will consume most of your life. Sure, money can buy a lot of things. But it cannot guarantee happiness. Why spend your time doing something you don’t enjoy?

What I believe it comes down to is passion and work. If you want to major in something you’re passionate about, you have to work for it. The more you work for it, the better you become at it, which leads to more opportunities. The better you become at it, the more you enjoy it. The more you enjoy it, the happier you will be.

No matter what you major in, you are needed. Your major is not dumb! And getting a job that you will be happy and secure in is possible if you have the drive to work for it.

McKenzie Story is from Algonquin, Illinois and is studying Journalism and Marketing at the University of Iowa. She is a captain of the UIowa Dance Club and keeps busy by teaching strength training along with dance classes. McKenzie enjoys being surrounded by family and friends and is always up for new adventures. She is excited to be a part of Her Campus and is thankful that her university has such an amazing chapter.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.