This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Although the weeks leading up to winter are full of festivities and holiday fun, midwestern winters can be brutal. For those of us who have never experienced a real midwestern winter, the horror of ice, sleet, snow and windchill await us. With winter on its way, it’s that time of year to box up last season’s clothes and add items that will keep us warm. Anyone can handle a bad winter with the right amount of clothes. While they tend to have a heavy price tag, only a few winter essentials are needed. The most important thing to keep in mind is that high-quality items will outlast the cheaper, less effective ones over times. Here’s a guide to winter shopping and buying clothes that are worth the splurge.

Layer it

The key to keeping warm on a budget is layering. Some days a bulky-looking parka isn’t everyones favorite look anyway, so adding a few layers can add extra warmth while still staying somewhat fashionable. Buy a few pairs of thick, extra soft leggings as well as running tights to put underneath jeans. Also buy multiple thin, long sleeve thermals and turtlenecks to layer under sweaters and jackets. Thick socks and scarves are also a must!
Glove at first sight 

While the fingerless, tech-tipped gloves and patterned mittens look adorable, on a below-freezing winter morning they likely won’t suffice. A pair of insulated wool gloves, and even a few hand warmers to accompany, will make you feel like you can take on anything this winter brings your way.

Coats

Trying to look on-point while staying warm can seem like a struggle, but naturally, a heavy duty jacket is a necessity. With the heavy wind and snow, you’ll be thankful every time you wear it. Choosing one that’s waterproof will keep out the cold, and if you can find one that reaches the knee, definitely go for it. 
Vests
The best way to transition from fall into the colder winter temperatures is with vests. Puffy vests are effortless and look great with thick long sleeve shirts and feel great under a big jacket when it’s freezing. They are extremely versatile and always worth the investment. 
Sweaters

The pullover sweater: the easiest and classiest way to defrost. Just think of all the fun patterns, knits and colors you can wear! Oversized sweaters are the real winter MVP, bringing together comfort and style in the warmest way possible.

Shoes wisely

The only thing worse than walking barefoot in ice is wearing converse, which easily absorb the snow and slush. Choose boots that are waterproof, warm and fit well enough to have solid traction on icy surfaces. Well-known brands such as Sorel and L.L Bean boots are a quality choice and popular favorite for snow days.

Also, start adding a few pairs of fuzzy socks to your winter shopping cart. Fuzzy, knitted and wool socks are not only extremely comfy, but quite adorable tucked into a pair of waterproof boots. They’ll totally make all the difference in your long walks to class. 
Scarves

While most of us consider scarves a fall accessory, a thick knit infinity scarf can provide extra comfort on even the coldest, windiest days. You’re best off finding one that is strong and soft rather than one that is more cute than it is useful!
Hello! I'm Erin, a University of Iowa student often found doing crafty things or jamming out to alternative music. I love flowers, puns, concerts, and traveling. I've lived on the east coast and the west coast but the midwest is the best.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.