This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Sororities have so much more to offer than what people think. There are so many misconceptions about them, which makes girls not want to join, but they are missing out on so much. Don’t let all of the stereotypes hold you back and here’s why.

When joining a sorority, you are meeting over one hundred girls that genuinely want to be your friend. It is very different from meeting girls at the library or in class. You are meeting girls that you already have a cool thing in common with. They, too, are interested in that sorority and everything that it stands for. This gives you so many things to talk about, which makes it less awkward than meeting a stranger. And don’t worry, you actually don’t need to go through formal recruitment. It’s a lot of fun, but if that is too much pressure for you, there are other ways. You can join a sorority through informal recruitment or continuous opening bidding. All you have to do it look on the sorority’s website or ask if they are offering that.

Sororities have been associated with partying, but there is so much more to it. Yes, you will know about all of the parties each weekend if you are in a sorority, I won’t deny that. But that’s not the point of them. Sororities do so much for their community and truly make an impact on the world. Each sorority has a philanthropy that they raise money and awareness for all year long. Philanthropy is so important, and a sorority is a great way to get involved and make a difference. On top of their own philanthropy, they are able to get involved with other chapter’s philanthropies and make a difference with other important causes. Philanthropy is truly a huge part of being in a sorority.

Another amazing part about being in a sorority is that they have so many events to offer. They set up fun bonding events like formals, visiting an apple orchard, planting succulents or roller-skating. They also have educational events like how to build a resume, self-defense, alcohol training and so much more. Sororities have different events each semester that you will never feel like there’s nothing to do. They also set up events with other sororities and fraternities to help you meet new people and learn about other chapters. 

There is so much more to a sorority than what has been stereotyped. Ignore those annoying labels and give it a try. I promise you that you will learn something you did not realize about them and will want to at least know more about what it means to be in that sorority!

Molly Leahy

U Iowa '20

Hi, my name is Molly Leahy! I am a third year student at the University of Iowa, majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications with a certificate in Entrepreneurial Management. Although I am currently living in Iowa, being from Saint Paul, Minnesota, my heart will always belong to my home state. Once a Minnesota girl, always a Minnesota girl! When my eye isn't behind the camera, I love spending time with my loved ones and all things fashion. Find me on Instagram at @mollyleahy7.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.