What made Yeezy Season Four special?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Yeezy Season Four premiered at New York Fashion Week on Wednesday. Guests were given only an address to a bus before editors and icons were shuttled to Roosevelt Island, where the show was actually held. In the humid New York heat, guests were able to purchase long sleeave season four t-shirts for a cool $75. Other Yeezy season guests simply got them as gifts. But this year’s show makes me wonder if Kanye might really be on his way to broke.

The models, including Sofia Richie, Amina Blue and Teyana Taylor, had a rough go of it. Previous seasons featured shows inside. This time, Kanye, along with his collaborator Vanessa Beecrof, decided an 85 degree day outdoor show in the hot sun would be more artistic.

Even the Kardashians, who arrived over an hour late to the show, took to Twitter to advocate for the poor models. During the show, multiple models were forced to deal with broken shoes and chose to continue walking the runway. This sparked multiple posts online making fun of the models, which the Kylie Jenner responded to. 

Broken shoes weren’t the only hardship for the Yeezy models. It was 85 degrees. They were standing in the sun. Fashion critic Vanessa Friedman tweeted a picture of the models captioned, “Model undone by the heat at Yeezy.” At least most of the models were clad in clothing seemingly modeled after lingerie and swimwear. 

So what did make Yeezy season four different that the other seasons? Nothing really. The clothing (if that’s what you want to call it) echoes the same color scheme he’s been using, the price sure hasn’t gone down, and the models are still shown in a linear pattern of presentation. This time they were a little lighter looking, and the show was outside instead of inside. Maybe that’s part of the attraction.

Through four seasons of Yeezy fashion, a lot of the items have remained similar. Maybe people find this non change refreshing and more aligned with their style preferances. I still wear crewnecks from high school with a hole in the neckline. The only difference between that and Yeezy’s crewnecks is the brand. People pay for the Yeezy brand. For example, Nike Roshe Flyknit shoes look very similar to Yeezy Boost 350 shoes. The difference is, the Nike shoes cost around $160, and the Yeezy’s will set you back a few grand. People pay for Yeezy. Not for the style. 

Photos: cover, 1, 2  

University of Iowa sophomore majoring in Journalism and Engaged Social Innovation. Member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority. Hospitality newbie. Reader, writer, and wanderluster. At least that's what I want my business card to say.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.