This summer was one of the best I have ever had, but it wasn’t without its difficulties either! Because I spent the first half of the summer studying abroad in Dublin and the other half at home, I didn’t see my very best friend, Jill Swanson, for three months. That was hard!
Now that we’re back together again, I’m over the moon with happiness. Clearly, the best way to go about telling you what that experience was like is by making a list and using many GIFs… right? Right. Glad we’re in agreement.
1. Finding out you won’t be spending the summer together
2. Spending the first week or so staring out the window a lot, thinking about how much you’d rather be doing stuff with them.
3. Texting them at three in the morning because you’re in different time zones.
4. Snail mailing each other because you’re just that desperate (and cheesy).
5. Yelling insults at Skype together because it keeps lagging and is getting in the way of your VERY IMPORTANT FRIENDSHIP.
6. Telling them to come over because you’ve having a bad day/you made food and need help eating it/you need to talk about what happened on your mutual favorite TV show… only to remember that they are so very far away.
7. Talking to random animals and small children because you’re lonely
8. Tagging them in 40,673 posts per day because you know it will make them smile.
9. Meticulously planning out an itinerary for your entire first week back together.
10. Counting down the months, weeks, days, hours, and then minutes until you see each other again.
11. Reuniting, finally
What is the longest time you’ve ever spent away from your BFF? How did the two of you deal with it?
(The photo of us belongs to Jill Swanson and is provided by the author)