What It’s Like to Grow Up a Hawkeye

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Getting to go to my dream school, watching my favorite sports team, having a major that I love, it’s really a blessing. Every since I was a kid, I would think about how awesome it would be to go to the University of Iowa, home of the Hawkeyes. After moving towards the end of the year, I learned that there was so much more than sports, parties and homework. Although those things are pretty fun, it wasn’t exactly what I imagined.

My family’s love for the Hawkeyes began when my uncle, Mark Sindlinger, decided to attend the University of Iowa to both play football and wrestle. Exceeding in both sports, as he started on the football team for three years, was never redshirted, and topped with four bowl appearances. In wrestling, he was redshirted, being able to wrestle one full season, he was a two-time Big Ten champion and placed fourth and sixth place in the NCAA tournament. In 2012, he was inducted into the Iowa Wrestling Hall of Fame. We are a pretty proud family.

My first time at an Iowa men’s basketball game, I was in the eighth grade. It was so cool to be in the arena. With a capacity of over 15,000 screaming die-hard Hawkeye fans, I was in awe. I realized what exactly I was missing out on. After the game, we drove on campus, and I thought the capitol building was absolutely beautiful. I immediately fell in love with the campus. To this day, the sight of the Pentacrest leaves me in awe. 

I went to my first football game when I was a freshman in high school. After sitting in front of the TV for hours watching football games, I finally got to go to one. I experienced my first tailgate at a family friend’s garage, which does not disappoint. Given that this was my first time at a tailgate, I gained high expectations for tailgates. I never thought the idea of being around a bunch of sweaty, drunk people would be exciting, but now I can’t wait for that kind of atmosphere to be back in the fall. I cannot wait to return to the Big Kahuna Hawk Garage.

After hours of tailgating came the actual football game. I had waited years for this, to be able to step in Kinnick Stadium and cheer on my Hawkeyes. My first time at a football game would be an experience I will never forget. I loved all of the traditions that came with the game: singing the fight song, the burrito lift, the Iowa chant after a touchdown, the Back in Black entrance. I loved it all. Supporting the Hawks with over 70,000 other fans gave me a sort of community.

As my senior year of high school came, I really thought about where I wanted to go to college. The University of Iowa has such a great education system with an excellent journalism program. Deciding to major in Journalism and Mass Communications, I made the University of Iowa my first and only choice. Getting accepted was huge for me. I was going to fulfill my dream and attend the University of Iowa. 

As a freshman rolling into my second semester, that reputation still holds true. The University of Iowa is the greatest school to be at. We excel in much more than just sports. Iowa has a wonderful education system with more organizations than you could imagine. From anime club to the Hawks Nest, the possibilities are endless. The professors DO care about your well-being and your grades. At Iowa, you can get a job on campus and join organizations, sports teams and clubs and gain experience.

Going to the University of Iowa is, I believe, one of the greatest decisions I’ve ever made. Walking up the capitol hill every day never gets old. I look up at the building and think to myself, I can’t believe I’m here. I have new friends that I’m so thankful for, I’m involved on campus, and I’m getting a great education. Growing up a Hawkeye, then pursuing my dream of attending Iowa is so fulfilling. If I could sum up the University of Iowa into one word, that word woud be “opportunity.”

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.