What To Expect When You Go Through Sorority Recruitment at Iowa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Fall Formal Recruitment marks a time when the potential new members will be lining up out the doors of their potential sorority homes. Any lady who is a student at the University of Iowa is able to go through formal recruitment to find her new home and feel welcome here on campus.

From the hair, outfits and conversations, it’s much more than what it appears on the surface. The University of Iowa has placed an importance on values-based recruitment in order for the ladies to grow a close and genuine connection with each chapter.

It’s more than what the television and movies have depicted as the Greek community. There are academics, socializing and professional networking within the chapters. Of course there is also creating lifelong bonds with people who will turn into your lifelong friends.  

Sign up for 2016 Fall Formal Recruitment!

For the next two weekends, you will be exhausted and possibly get sick from all the talking and hand shaking, but it’s so worth it to find a place to call home. Here are some things you should expect during recruitment!

You might not actually like your dream sorority

So you’ve been researching and creeping on every chapter on campus, and you’re positive you found the house that will be your future home. It’s finally recruitment time, you visit, and it’s not everything you expected, and you feel kind of disappointed. That just means that your future chapter is elsewhere. Keep an open mind when you are walking into a house: you never know what will happen during the recruitment rounds.

You might not like the chapters you get back.

It’s the next day after a few rounds, and you get the chapters you had ranked at the bottom of your list. All you feel is upset, but just know it is okay. Just get yourself up and keep an open mind. Again, you don’t know what will happen when you go to a chapter. What’s the worst that can happen? You get free refreshment and might meet some of your future sorority sisters?

Keep an open mind

I cannot stress this enough. You might go into recruitment with a closed mind or the idea that you will get into your dream chapter based on what you’ve seen or heard. But if you’ve never gone inside or spoken to a woman from a chapter, how do you know if you do or don’t like it? You never know what will happen. Just trust the system; it works.

Be nice

You’re lining up for a recruitment party, and it’s not for the house you wanted to come to. You don’t feel like talking to anyone in hopes that they will not invite you back. You’re really not helping yourself in this situation. If anything, you’re wasting your time and money by not opening up to these wonderful women and not helping yourself with the process. Be nice to everyone you meet because they might become your best friend or just a friendly face you can see around on campus.

Boys, booze, bank accounts, and Bible

These are the four things you should not discuss while in recruitment rounds when you are visiting a chapter, and they should not be discussing them with you. No one cares if you’re friends with a lot of fraternity men and get invited to parties and get plastered every day. They also don’t care if you’re rich or poor, so there’s no need to brag about your money. Here, we’re all broke college students. The Bible. Everyone’s religious preference is different, so don’t discuss what’s wrong with other religions or why yours is the best. But discussing the mission trip you took over the summer with the family is okay. Speaking of these are major no-no’s during recruitment, so it’s best to stay away.

Know your values

The university is stressing the importance of values-based sorority recruitment. Knowing and understanding  your values can help you find your home away from home. What do you stand for and what are things that your chapter should stand for? How do you want yourself and your chapter to act in situations and do those match up?

Don’t listen to the rumors

People will talk. Yik Yak, Greek Rank, word of mouth. People will have something to stay about anything because they think they know everything. Newsflash: they don’t. Don’t listen to the rumors or what someone has to say about a chapter. Your impression might not be the same as their impression, so don’t mind any rumors you hear.

You’re going to get sick.

There’s a lot of handshaking and talking, not to mention the mixed weather that Iowa has. There’s a chance you’ll get sick from catching a cold in the cold rain during one of the rounds or from all the handshaking you do, plus you’re living in a dorm where germs are everywhere. Keep yourself healthy, wash your hands, stay hydrated, and keep your germs to yourself!

It seems like a lot, and it seems kind of tedious and long, but the process of sorority recruitment might be one of the best times you have in your life. Upon joining your chapter, you’ll look back and see that those two weekends were worth it for a lifetime of connections.

Learn more about Fall Formal Recruitment!

Have a great recruitment. I hope you find your home away from home! HXCO PHCLAM

Amy is currently a senior at the University of Iowa majoring in Journalism and Mass Communication, minor in political science with certificates in Event Planning and Entrepreneurial Management and HC UIowa's Trouble Maker. Her dream job is to work in Public Relations or Event Planning and plans to also become a lawyer, like the 9 years old Amy planned. Whenever she's not writing articles, she's usually online shopping, binging on Netflix, or laughing at her own jokes. Midwestern Prep with the worst luck in the world, you can keep track of her worst case scenarios on Twitter.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.