This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Well folks, summer has officially come to an end, and the impending dread of homework and late night studying is upon us. Transitioning from sleeping in until noon to drag yourself out of bed for that 8 a.m. can be a culture shock to say the least (especially if you have to climb the Pentacrest hill). Week one is officially done, and the fall semester is in full swing. Freshmen are experiencing their first time away from home, seniors are preparing for graduation, and I’ve had my first—of many—coffees of the year at Java House. 

Iowa City’s local businesses and even Cactus 1, 2, and 3 never fail to keep us coming back year after year. Even though our city is predisposed to building fires and seasonal flooding, nothing can take away our Hawkeye pride. It’s football season! Whether you are a hardcore sports fan or just enjoy the school spirit, cheering at Kinnick is a great way to showcase your Hawkeye pride with 70,000 of your closest friends. Nothing is better than the Wave and introducing our Kid Captains. 

Fall semester is the time of the year to get involved and join clubs or student organizations. Expanding your horizons is a wonderful to meet new people and push yourself out of your comfort zone. But if you are a workaholic manic like me, you will suddenly find yourself on the phone with your mom crying about how stressed and overwhelmed you are. Listen, getting involved is great but don’t stretch yourself too thin. 

This semester I was originally supposed to be taking 18 semester hours, writing as Editor-in-Chief of HC UIowa, participating in Phi Sigma Pi and working an additional 12 hours a week at my job. Who thought that was a good idea? I blame a over-caffeinated past me who made her semester schedule a 1 a.m. Long story short, I dropped a class. Classes are only going to get more stressful and you have to come to terms that you can’t be in two places at once. Giving your energy to a few things you are passionate about is ultimately more fulfilling. 

So moral of the story, get the most out of your classes but don’t forget the community than Iowa City has to offer. Wear the Tigerhawk with pride. Go out, have fun, study your butt off and don’t forget to call your mom. This is going to be a great year for us Hawkeyes. There is a reason why this simple town has touched the hearts of so many people around the country. Let’s make this the best year yet. Go Hawks!

Rachel is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Iowa, and has been in HC Iowa since the beginning of her freshman year. She is a senior at the University of Iowa and is pursing a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication with a certificate in Entrepreneurial Management. Rachel wants to work in digital marketing and graphic design for a beauty, fashion and lifestyle brand in a big city.