This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Whether you have a date with that special someone or plan to spend your night with the girls, you will need a stunning Valentine’s Day look. This is often easier said than done. I created a look that is not only simple enough for a beginner to tackle, but also glamorous. In the picture below I included the products I used for this look. Most of which are drugstore products and very affordable in comparison to designer makeup. You can use any of the products you have on hand to create this look as well.

To create this look begin with clean skin, then apply primer. I chose to use Elf’s poreless primer. This has been one of my favorites lately, and it is very affordable. Focus the primer on your T-zone, and then apply your liquid foundation. You can apply it with a stippling brush or a beauty blender. After the liquid foundation has been evenly spread across your face, apply a light amount of pressed powder over it in order to set the liquid and remove the sticky feeling. Don’t forget to blend down your neck to prevent a nasty makeup line.

Next I apply concealer under my eyes and problem areas. I set this with my Physician’s Formula CC powder that color corrects and brightens the area, removing dark under eye circles. Next I take my Elf contour pallet and contour using the lighter shade on the bottom row. I focus this under my cheekbones, jawline, sides of the nose and temples. I use the peach shade on the top row to highlight my cheekbones, forehead, nose, upper lip and chin. Make sure to really blend this out with a fluffy brush to avoid having any harsh lines.

Next I take my NYX baked blush, and apply it to the apples of my cheeks and drag it backwards just above the contour line. To finish my foundation routine, I use my Ofra illuminator to give a soft glow to the tops of my cheeks, arch of my eyebrows, the tip of my nose and my cupid’s bow.

After I finish my foundation, I fill in my eyebrows with the Elf brow pencil. I then prime my eyelids with Urban Decay eyelid primer. I used a crease brush to blend in some rose gold shadow into my crease. I layered a slightly darker brown gold shade underneath that as well as in the outer corner of my eyelids. I used a fluffy eyeshadow brush to blend the colors. I then went in with my Colourpop super shock shadow in Cricket on the inner and middle of my eyelid. Colourpop shadows have a creamy formulation that make it slightly more difficult to apply. The easiest way is a flat sponge brush or a flat synthetic brush. Colourpop is known for its pigmentation and its affordability. I also applied Cricket along my lower lashline. I then applied Physician’s Formula pearled illuminator to the inner corners of my eyes to highlight. Next I applied my eyeliner and winged it out slightly. The wing is completely optional and can be slightly difficult for beginners. I topped off the eyes with a generous coat of mascara.

I decided to keep it simple and chose a pinky-neutral matte lippie from Colourpop to finish off my look with soft lips. Not only will it compliment the beautifully glowing look you have created, it will also stay on your lips throughout your entire date. Finish off the entire look by spraying setting spray evenly over your entire face.

There you have it! A Valentine’s Day look that is sure to turn heads and last all day long.

My name is Sarah Pippin, and I am from Marshalltown Iowa. I am studying Communications with a Writing Certificate in Writing for Media, and a minor in Cinematic Arts at the University of Iowa. I am involved in service projects around campus and Iowa City as a member of Alpha Phi Omega Omicron. I also host Pippin Talk a talk show on Saturday's from 11am-12 on KRUI Iowa City 89.7 FM. I LOVE all things makeup and fashion. You can check out my blog at http://sispip85.wix.com/allmadeup I am an avid Grey's Anatomy, F.R.I.E.N.D.S, Gossip Girl, and Gilmore Girls fan.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.