sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Ultimate Iowa City Summer Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

With the school year coming to an end, I’ve been getting more and more excited for my first Iowa City summer. A lot of University of Iowa students head home at the end of the year, but for the handful of us that plan on sticking around awaits a summer like never before…or so I’ve been told. Sure, the line for Pancheros will be shorter, and the sun will shine on the Pentacrest longer, but what else does IC have to offer during Hawkeye off season? 

Farmers Market

From the beginning of May until about the middle of October each year, there is a farmers market downtown twice a week. The market is located at the Chauncey Swan Ramp, 405 E. Washington Street and is on Wednesdays from 5 to 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 7:30 a.m. to noon. This is a perfect way to spend some time outside, try out organic produce and support local businesses.

Arts Festival

The Iowa City Arts Festival is a weekend long event that happens annually right in the heart of Iowa City. This year it falls on the weekend of June 2–4, and the schedule of events looks awesome. With things like live music, food, parades and art showings, this is a weekend you won’t want to miss!

Camp at Lake Macbride

Located in Solon, I.A., about 20 minutes from IC, is Lake Macbride State Park. While there are plenty of outdoor activities to partake in during the day (paddle boats, trails, kayaks, etc.) why end your time at the lake when the sun sets? Lake Macbride has two campgrounds complete with shower houses, electricity units and water and sewer hook-ups. So grab a few friends, pack up some s’mores essentials and spend a summer night or two under the stars.

Enjoy the Ped Mall

One of my favorite things to do is to explore all of the small, hole-in-the-wall shops and restaurants Iowa City has to offer, especially as the weather warms up. Spending the day down in the Ped Mall is a great way to check out all of the small businesses and take advantage of the beautiful weather by sitting outside to eat at places like Short’s Burger & Shine and Heirloom Salad Co. On top of that, with so many students back in their hometowns, you won’t have to fight for parking as hard as you do during the school year. What a win-win!

Friday Night Concerts

If your “Ped Mall exploring day” happens to fall on a Friday, be sure to stick around until the evening! Every Friday from May 19–August 25 free concerts are held just outside of the Sheraton Hotel from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Each Friday is different with new genres and artists, so you’re guaranteed a new experience every week, all summer! Dinner and a show? I think yes!

In addition to these few things, there are free movies on the Pentacrest, swimming at City Pool and so many more fun things to discover. So ace those tests, pass those classes and get ready for a summer you’ll never forget in a city like no other.

Hannah is the President of Her Campus Iowa and has been a member of the chapter for the last 3 years. She is a senior from the suburbs of Chicago studying Journalism and Mass Communications and is a huge reality T.V. show fan (she may or may not have secretly bought a Hulu subscription just to binge watch KUWTK...no tea, no shade). After graduating, Hannah's goal is to land a social media position at a beauty and lifestyle company so she can utilize her skills to represent their brand and expand her own knowledge and creativity. 
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.