Style

The Trending 80s: Fashion Is Not the Only Thing Making a Comeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Coming from a small town in Iowa, everybody wears a sweatshirt, jeans, and boots. Though we may not have had uniforms in my school, we might as well have. As much as I loved my small town community growing up, there were times when I felt judged for going outside the norm. My sense of style, music interests, and ideas of who I wanted to be all lingered underneath who I was on the outside, a typical small town girl. When I came to college, all of that changed. I was not a small town girl anymore. I was in a place where I could be anyone I wanted to be.

As I look around campus, the people that catch my attention are not the ones who are wearing leggings, boots, and an oversized sweatshirt (as cute and comfy as that outfit is), but rather the people rockin’ the canadian tuxedo, Doc Martin’s, colorful scrunchies, skirts, and the flared shirts and pants. I came to the realization that these are the type of things I want to wear because it represents diversity, rebellion, independence, and confidence, all of the things the 80s brought to life. Now, the 80s are back.

Today, the world is open to diversity and college is no exception. You have people of different backgrounds, experiences, looks, styles, and ways of life all coming together in one place. This experience is a great way to find out who you are and how you can express yourself through….

STYLE

Salmon Khan said, “Style is something very individual, very personal, and in their own unique way, I believe everyone is stylish.” Style is one of the ways that allow people to see who you are and what your personality really is. The 80s were all about being confident and making a statement about yourself through your style. Your style can always change depending on what you want to say about yourself. What do you think these styles represent? Could you see yourself rockin’ them? 

Crop Top, High-waisted shorts, and Converse 

Concert Tees and Leather

Denim jackets and High-waisted shorts

MUSIC

Not only does the music itself revert back to times in the past, but so does the way we listen to music. Now that we have all of these music streaming services, it is nice to take a minute once and a while and appreciate the tangible mediums of music: vinyl, cassette, and even CDs! More and more people like the idea of collecting something with meaning. It’s how we connect to each other and the musician’s message. Want to start a vinyl collection? Go for it!

ATTITUDE

The 80s have made its mark on many of us for the style and music from that decade. However, one thing this digital world is in need of is that “enjoy life as it happens” attitude. This is the most exciting thing to announce is making a comeback. A lot of times we just lose focus on why we are put here. We are put here to yes make the world a better place, but also to enjoy the little things. Live in the moment. Take chances. Make statements about yourself. Discover who you are.

The 80s were a time of self-discovery and making statements about yourself for the world to see. Don’t let fear of judgments hold you back. You are in college to learn about yourself and who you want to be. Why not show everybody who you are through your style, music, and attitude? 

Who knows? Maybe you might even be an inspiration to other people out there. It wasn’t until I saw other students on campus showing off their personal styles, that I decided to find my own. 

Image Credit: 1, 2, 345

Delaney is a journalism major with a certificate in sustainability at the University of Iowa. Her dream career is to become a Marine Biologist and advocate for the environment through research and writing. In her free time, she enjoys music, friends, and the occasional ice cream venture (Okay, maybe not so occasional).
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.